1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones on Jason Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting line: Well, here’s the stone-cold truth, kids: Jason Whitlock has no soul

http://sonofboldventure.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-be-professional-writer.html

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Strong effort.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There's a 100 percent chance Whitlock erupts on Twitter over this, with references to Omar included.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The damn thang got done.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent!

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

GolDANG it Moddy, you beat me to it by a few minutes!

Jones on Posnanski ain't bad, either....

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Interesting that he drops a "working the corners" reference in there. That's one of J-dub's faves as I recall.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wonder what brought this on.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To sum it up thin skinned writer accuses big time columnist of having no soul. I think it's more a case of jealousy.

Jones and Whitlock have a rich history right here on SJ.

At this point Whitlock probably has forgotten who Jones is and Jones still carries a bug up his ass 5 years later.

Here is a sample:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/948856/

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Spineless? LOL, wow, Boom, that's ridiculous even for you, and that's a fairly low bar after all our years around these parts.

You can call the blog item many things, but when a guy's name is on it, and he's completely laid out his criticism in a public forum, it's anything but spineless.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think the highest tribute you can get as a writer is to have something you wrote quoted. If you are quoted more from stuff you say on TV or radio, you probably are not a writer.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spineless? Nah. Jones seems comfortable enough with who he is -- even though he has expressed doubts about himself in a number of ways and places.

I liked the blog entry. The only quibble I have is his invoking Ralph Wiley. Maybe he didn't mean it the way it came off to me. Or maybe he did it subconsciously. But by throwing Ralph Wiley in there, it could have either been -- "now here is a controversial writer who knew his craft," or it could have been "I'm going to find a way to make the Ralph Wiley comparison so no one can say I singled out Whitlock because I am racist."

I may be reaching a bit with that. But not intentionally to find fault. It was really something I thought when I saw Ralph Wiley's name pop in there, instead of say Mike Royko (who Whitlock has often compared himself to; I can't remember Whitlock comparing himself to Ralph Wiley, although I may be wrong).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.