1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones on depression (his own) and suicide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was always sure that heavy drinking was simply a part of this life, writing or even editing on deadline, and of course one connects to the other, and while there were many times I wondered if going through all the shit was worth it, I can't point to a specific time when I actually thought of the ultimate.

But this is a strange business, with a lot of built-in stress on those at every point -- for writers and editors, newspapers, magazines and books -- and add the quirky way each individual approaches the process, and none of these posts surprise me.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think depression is a lot more frequent among journalists and writers than most other professions...

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't think that's true, mizzou. I think creative types in general might be more prone to lower lows because of the "getting lost in one's head" aspect, but on the flip side, those also are the people who are better equipped to deal with it because their creative abilities can manifest themselves as a catharsis. If you're a writer in a bad place, you can often write your way out of it. If you're an electrician suffering from depression, you can't turn to what you do to help escape. And that's when the drinking, drugs, excessive behavior, etc. come into play for lack of anything else. In my experience, creativity is the devil on one shoulder AND the angel on the other.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But I think a large part of what he's saying is that an electrician isn't likely to be the kind of person who is going to sink to those depths. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to sort people by intelligence through their occupations -- and after the princely five-figure sum I have paid an electrician in the past three months I am feeling like he made a damn fine career choice and me not so much -- but writing is an exercise that leads to more self-examination, critique and even loathing. The public-facing part of it, when you're being assaulted by anonymous commenters, can play a role too for someone who is already prone.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the idea that depression occurs at a higher percentage among artists - the cliche of the 'self-medicating, hard-drinking, melancholy poet/painter/musician' - is self-justifying romantic bullshit.

Here's an old survey of suicide rates by profession. Really imprecise, but maybe indicative of the democracy of depression.

www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1588/what-occupation-has-the-highest-suicide-rate

A study of 24 states reported data on causes of death by occupation, for people ages 20 to 64, from 1984 to 1988, and came up with physicians, health aides, and "food batchmakers" as the three highest. Food batchmakers are at the top but only by a small (statistically insignificant) margin. Psychiatrists weren't reported separately from other physicians. I'm not sure exactly what the numbers below mean, perhaps suicides per million of active population:

Food batchmakers (241)

Physicians (222) and health aides (excluding nursing) (221)

Lathe and turning machine operators (199)

Biological, life and medical scientists (188)

Social scientists and urban planners (171)

Dentists (165)

Lawyers and Judges (140)

Guards/sales occupations were tied at 139

Tool and die makers (126)

Police, public servants (118)

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I understand your point, but I think it then might extend to self-FULFILLING "bullshit" ... where people think it's simply part of the deal -- and I wonder how such a survey dealt with poet/painter/musician/writer, which notably isn't even on your list.

7. Mizzougrad96

Good current data there Az...

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To a certain extent, I agree. It's almost as if depression is seen as some badge of honor. As I said, I can understand how creative types could experience lower lows at times simply because they are prone to introspection. But it's not as if "artists" have a monopoly on suffering.

9. Mizzougrad96

I am fortunate in that I never had to deal with depression. I will say that I am about 1,000X less stressed out now that I am no longer in journalism.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Along the lines of Az's post, an article about the romanticization of depression:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/17/magazine/17DEPRESSION.html

11. Mizzougrad96

I think there are some in journalism who wear the depression and the hard, hard drinking as a badge of honor as if it's necessary for them to do what they do...

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's why I warned that it was old.

As of 2009, doctors still kill themselves most often.

www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-narcissus-in-all-us/200908/the-occupation-the-highest-suicide-rate

Draft saved Draft deleted