1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones on depression (his own) and suicide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There's a Walgreens parking lot in Houston that is probably still drying off from my tears because of the 2002 night I pulled my car in there and couldn't stop shaking after having the exact same thought.

I'm worlds away from those depths now, but depression is still a battle every day, as I'm sure it is for Chris and everyone else who has experienced similar feelings. Good on him for writing about it and sharing his story publicly. If it helps one person not feel so alone, it's worth it.

2. joe

joe Active Member

When I read the story, I wondered if it would generate a thread. I'm glad that it did. And I'm glad Buckdub didn't do anything, or I wouldn't have met one of my good (if distant) friends three years later. We had some halycon days in SoCal before everything went to shit.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Chris, with respect, and as hard as it is to believe sometimes, many of the people here are the people in many members' "own lives".

For that, those many members owe you a debt for writing what you did.

It takes courage to write about one's own personal pain in such as a way as to be helpful to someone. I think you accomplish that.

Strike that. I don't think, I know. There's another story you wrote that hit me -- in a good way -- that provided perspective for me to get out of a personal crisis of confidence.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is not the link to Chris' story, but if you've never read Tad Friend's piece from The New Yorker about people who jump off the Golden Gate Bride -- which is the opening scene in Chris' story -- you should do so. It's an incredible piece of a journalism, and talks about why they don't put up barriers, what it's like to survive, etc.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/10/13/031013fa_fact?currentPage=all

5. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Being in the beginning stages of my writing career, I can echo this. Not the hypo part, but the isolation and all that. I've realized how important it is to be social, to get around other people who I'm not just interviewing or whatever, and get out of my own head as often as I can. I think it's huge to find some sort of social outlet. For me, it's pickup basketball at the gym and going out for drinks and such with friends.

All that to say—I haven't read the piece yet, but am going to soon as I get a chance to pick up this month's issue. I'm looking forward to learning how Jones dealt with it.

And yeah, Jones, I'll also add that I'm glad this was awhile back and that you're much better now. And thank you for sharing. That'd be hard for me to do, and I'm sure it'd be hard for a lot of us. I'd worry most what my parents and siblings—I'm the oldest of four, and have always had that "be the older brother and set the great example for them" complex—would think and how it would hit them.

Thanks for being so honest, and for taking the time to share.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read the story the other day when my issue came in the mail.

Between this story, the JT story from last issue and the Huntsman article a few months ago, it's safe to say I'm enjoying reading Jones than any other writer in the country these days...

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

FYI, he has a Huntsman story in this issue, too.

8. Mizzougrad96

Saw it. Haven't had a chance to read it yet.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Me, neither. But looking forward to it, as usual with Chris's stuff. I think one reason a lot of us like his writing is that he's kind of a workingman's writer, and you don't see a ton of guys like that in Esquire. You see the Charlie Pierces of the world who write soaring sentences. Now, Chris Jones can rip off a sentence in his time, too, but I think he's a product of craft and passion, not necessarily talent as much as some of the others.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I can't find it or remember where it was set, but someone here linked to a really good story about a guy who patrolled this one bridge in Asia (I think) known as a popular suicide spot. Damned if I can remember who wrote it or for what publication.

EDIT: It was you who linked it: The Suicide Catcher -- http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201005/suicide-catchers-nanjing-bridge-yangtze-river-mr-chen

11. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I want to read the Esquire piece, but suicide really hits hard. I lost my uncle that way a few years ago and I've flirted with the idea myself (I'm better now). I respect the hell out of Chris for what he's been through and what he's doing. It's nice to see behind the curtain every now and then and know that we're not alone.

12. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I have a friend in the business, a very talented and well-known writer who years back, I had to break down his door and carry him to my car to take him to the ER after one of his attempts.

He's made several attempts, and I always find myself torn as to whether I think the attempts are serious or just an attention grab. It's usually alcohol and pills, but I would never forgive myself if I assumed it wasn't a serious attempt and he died. We still talk, but the relationship is a bit strained because he knows I saw him at that point in his life.

Draft saved Draft deleted