1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones on depression (his own) and suicide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not a naive question at all ... if you haven't experienced it then it is really hard to understand. I always heard of people like Terry Bradshaw or even family or friends talk about lying in bed all day not wanting to face the world. Then it happened to me and I knew exactly what it meant. I went a few months literally sleeping until the final minute before I had to jump in the shower to get ready for work. And we're talking 2:30 or even later in the afternoon since I work nights. The stress was just so much in my head that I didn't want to face it. And this is while having a stable job that I have been doing for a long time and am very good at, so it shouldn't be a source of worry.

I never really did, but it was more often than not that I wanted to cry. I never remotely considered anything extreme, but I did wonder if I would get to that point. It took about 8 months of expirimenting with the doc, but I think I'm finally on the right track. Cutting back on alcohol and getting more exercise makes a huge difference too.

In short, if you get to the point that you are clinically depressed, hopefully you will know it and get help. You are very unlikely to be able to fight it off on your own. And thanks to Chris for sharing his story. I haven't read it yet, but since he is my favorite magazine writer working, I'm sure it will have quite an impact on me.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that there are folks who think "the more unhappy I am..." I'm saying they're thinking of David Foster Wallace or Amy Winehouse or Elliot Smith or Richie Tenenbaum.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Or they use Hemmingway and Hunter S. as the foundation but pattern themselves after DFW and Elliot Smith. Sort of like how everyone who writes music claims Dylan as an inspiration, even if they're more likely to emulate Springsteen or Madonna or Soul For Real

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't think he was dismissing a chemical imbalance. I think he was saying that the causes of mental illness are more complicated than that.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't know/care much about how it's marketed, but I can say with certainty that Cymbalta works very well (at least for me). I can also assure you that unless you have tremendous health insurance you cannot afford it.

Draft saved Draft deleted