1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones: "Being Poor Sucks"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 29, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You sure you're not talking about our esteemed colleague, POO?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No.

Pretty sure it was NHL PR or something like that. I think they were going to either every NHL city or every NHL city that had a team in the playoffs.

I'm not a hockey guy, but it's the coolest trophy I've ever seen.

3. KYSportsWriter

The guy who brought the Cup to Jones was one of the Keepers of the Cup -- which sounds like one of the coolest jobs in freaking world.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It might have been something like that. For me, I came into the office to write a baseball gamer and was asked if I wanted to have my picture taken with the Cup. Who in their right mind would say no?

5. KYSportsWriter

Jonesy says in the story that the guy is one of the four Keepers of the Cup, I believe.

But yeah, who would pass up that chance?

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I met one of the "keepers" of the cup once and he was a pretty cool dude. He let a small group of baggage handlers pose with it and hold it.

I think the reason they don't want anyone to hoist it above their head is they don't want anyone to drop it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One of the keepers is from Mimico. Shows up at the Blue Goose every so often

The Cup has made several appearances at the Goose --for Brendan Shanahan when he was with the Wings and when the Hawks won. Bolland's a neighbourhood kid.

He actually brought it in twice. Late on Friday night after a big party at the local city councillor's and the official one next day out in the parking lot.

So if the Devils win, another Mimico lad, David Clarkson, might keep the tradition going.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine from college did not win the Stanley Cup, but he did drink beer out of it. He was high school classmates with a former Devils player who brought it to their hometown, threw a party and let everyone drink out of it. We were still in college at the time.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey Chris, sorry to make you the center of attention, and I know you're far from being a Republican. I just thought it was funny.

But, I also thought it was an important message. I see the same thing from some food bloggers I follow, and others. They embrace poverty, wear it like a badge of honor, and reject success as some kind of sellout.

But, it's also a defense mechanism. You can't fail if you don't try. And, so people don't try.

And, it's an idea embraced by some here.

While success and wealth often relies on some degree of luck, it's rarely random, and usually requires hard work, a good game plan, discipline, and thoroughness.

You're well respected here, so it's nice for this message to come from you.

And, yes, I've been dead broke, and I've been pretty comfortable. Being poor does suck.

Finally, loved the Cup article. Sounds like fun. Keep up the good work.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Odd pet peeve of mine: "Hoisting" the Cup is one of those cliched words that you would never hear in another context, yet that's apparently the only way to describe lifting the Cup over your head, because that's all anyone ever uses.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think half the people in SoCal know Cup-keeper Mike Bolt.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't think it's about him.

But you're right about it playing out.

Draft saved Draft deleted