1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones: "Being Poor Sucks"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 29, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Too bad he can't vote here. Chris is talking like a Republican:

... few things bother me more about writers than our professional romanticization of poverty. Being poor sucks...

... There are poor lawyers and architects, but you don't hear them glamorizing their fates next to candles stuck in wine bottles...

... If you're good at this, your words have value. You want to be a Bohemian? Great. But that's not your only destiny.

https://twitter.com/#!/mysecondempire

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, your link to Chris's tweet/blog doesn't work.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

TSP: "I agree."

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

YF corrected his original post (see the "edit" at 11:14) eight minutes after mine (11:06) because his original link didn't work

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

YF, I doubt that Chris would consider your comment about him "talking like a Republican" to be a compliment.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Oh yay. Another thread about Chris, that will inevitably play out the same way it always does.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thinking the same thing. The Jones haters are legendary around here.

But, (and posted over on the NHL Stanley Cup thread), here's his recent column about spending the day with the Stanley Cup.

I'm sure there will be people here who will ask, "Why did he get the Cup?"

Simple answer: he asked for it

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7983145/chris-jones-takes-stanley-cup-port-hope-espn-magazine

Since I was a boy, I've watched that trophy being hoisted into the air by giants. Now it was on my front step. I sat beside it and laughed until my eyes filled with water. Just then, the neighbors had two guys pull up to open their pool. I will never forget the size of the smiles on their faces. The mailman came around and refused to believe it was the real thing.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He asked for it . . .

AND he writes the back-page column for ESPN the Magazine.

Kinda important.

9. JPW

JPW New Member

I have to say I agree about the ridiculousness of fetishising our poverty. Sure, I love the romanticism of writing and its craft and it's funny to joke about being broke and living cheap; but coming from a 22-year-old who graduated college a couple weeks ago and is essentially on salary with his parents, being poor does suck.

I know that the article he was responding to is basically mindless garbage, but trust that not all young people feel that way about writing. I plan to work my ass off through these shitty coffee-and-ramen times, hope to get a job and keep working my ass off so that I will never feel like this again.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They know what it means.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just the same, Jones apologists around here are equally legendary. I do agree that The Jones threads all follow a similar pattern whether started by a fan or detractor.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would like to apologize for Jones if anyone was offended.

Draft saved Draft deleted