1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

chris jericho doesn't much like mickey rourke, it seems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 29, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I recall listening to the radio this morning and they aired a story about Rouke telling Entertainment Tonight (IIRC) that he will indeed not be wrestling Jericho in the ring.

I'm sorry, but as entertaining that would be, Rouke wouldn't stand a chance in the ring with Jericho. Jericho has been wrestling since 1990.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not to mention Goldberg ain't exactly a pussy when it comes to actual physical confrontation.

And here's Jericho's list of what he could do to Rourke. He only gets through about 730 of the 1,004 holds, but you get the idea :D

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Good Grief

It would appear that all the marks of SportsJournalists.com have congregated on one thread.

Fighting ability of pro wrestlers in massively over rated. I have no question about their toughness but while their may be a few who are shooters, it is not like all of these guys can hold their own in a real fight.

Jericho is very unimposing physically. He is in shape but not especially large or tall, especially when not doing as many "supplements".

The Goldberg story is urban legend blown out of proportion. Jericho knows to stand up to bullies, as he did with Big Show, but he did not give Goldberg a beating.

That being said I think Jericho would kick his ass but Rourke would have a punchers chance in a shoot.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

He should probably make the first punch a good one.....odds are he wouldn't get to throw more than the one.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the respect for Jericho's "real-world" fighting ability stems from his background in Canada. That whole line of wrestlers -- the Harts, Chris Benoit, Jericho -- are seen as more adept at submission type moves than the flashy "drop them on their head" moves.
    It's not too difficult to take some basic wrestling submission moves -- say, a crossface -- adjust the pressure a little, and turn it into an effective real-world move. Could someone like Jericho beat a lot of MMA guys? Of course not. Could he take a scrawny boxer like Rourke? I think so.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

That's the thing. As a boxer once told me, any 200-pound man that can throw a punch has a good chance to end pretty much any fight with one punch. You just have to make that punch count.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Submission type moves in pro wrestling do not correlate to real world fighting or mma.

Lots of wrestlers are tough guys and have fighting ability thru other training however I think the whole Stu dungeon thing is a creation of the guys who went thru there. Stu stretched a bunch of newbies who wanted to be wrestlers, this does not make them adapt at shooting.

In Jericho's case he really got his experience in Japan and Puerto Rico.

Could someone like Jericho beat a lot of mma guys?

Jericho would not been any mma guys.

8. jps

jps Active Member

I think we're not catching my point here. wrestling, though I still doubt some of jericho's actual ability outside of scripted stories, he wins hands down. no, rourke wouldn't have a chance. but I'm talking either boxing or bare-knuckled fighting. there aren't holds there. there are punches. and rourke's got those, whereas I don't think jericho does.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Years back, Brian Pillman won a backstage fight with Sid Vicious, even though he was outweight by 80-100 pounds. Pillman was not only a former NFL player, but he also trained by the Harts.

Who knows how well Jericho would do in MMA unless he trained for it. He hasn't, but look at Brock Lesnar. He trained for MMA, and has done pretty well so far.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

How did Pillman do that? Sid should have just stuck his head in the toilet. Pillman played for the Bengals, I think. He was quite a character. The whole storyline with him going off the deep end it in which they incorporated his wife (I think) was pretty creepy.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That much appears true.

Rourke said something silly and corrected it, taking the high road. Jericho played Jericho. That people are talking about this is ridiculous. Larry King is a clueless tool.

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Hold No. 712 ... ARMBAR!

As for the Mickey Rourke thing, I'm betting it's still on for Wrestlemania but since the surprise was blown, they're trying to divert some attention away from it. After the February PPV and the Oscars are over with, don't be surprised if it picks right back up.

Draft saved Draft deleted