1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

chris jericho doesn't much like mickey rourke, it seems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Jan 29, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

so rourke made an off-the-cuff remark on the red carpet about thinking he'd be ready to take on chris jericho. was said in good fun it seemed to me.

larry king gets the two on his show to ask about the 'challenge,' and jericho acts like a complete ass. I don't watch wrestling, and maybe it's just all part of his script and schtick, but come on. pretty impressive that he thinks he can take on a 56-year-old guy. (course, he tries it when rourke is mid-20s and in his boxing prime, and jericho gets handled.) and on top of it all, he goes third person on us. yeesh.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't worry, jps. It's all part of the show.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's all act (third person references.... all that BS).

And, he was very complimentary of Rourke's performance

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2299104/

5. jps

jps Active Member

yeah, I figured it was 'in character,' but I dunno. annoying, still. and I maintain that a 25-year-old rourke would beat the guy to a pulp.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who is Chris Jericho? Seriously.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I get the feeling that Chris Jericho "hates" Mickey Rourke the same way Jerry Lawler "hated" Andy Kaufman....

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He's a longtime pro wrestler, who also wrote an autobiography about a year ago. He also hosts a reality show (which I don't remember what it's called).

He's considered one of the best pro wrestlers in the world, for both his in-ring technique as well as his speaking ability on the mic.

9. jps

jps Active Member

'wrestler' in the wwe. if you believe him, 'the best in the world at what he does.'

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Son of Ted Irvine, Hockey Hall of Fame defenceman.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Highly doubtful.

The WWE named him its superstar of the year at the Slammy Awards in December. He also won four awards, including wrestler of the year, from Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Five-time world heavyweight hampion, eight-time Intercontinental champion, three-time tag-team champion, hardcore champion, European champion.....all this even though he's no more than six feet tall and weighs maybe 220.

Mickey Rourke couldn't have kicked Chris Jericho's ass on Rourke's best day.

ADD: And a great grab by AMacIsaac. Chris is indeed the son of an ex-Boston Bruin, LA King, NY Ranger and St. Louis Blue. But Ted Irvine wasn't a defenceman, he was a left wing. :)

12. jps

jps Active Member

I believe that most wrestlers are great athletes. but they win when the script given them says they'll win, so championships don't mean much in my mind. and while that all takes a lot to do what they do, I don't think they could hang with a great boxer. rourke was a golden gloves fighter. 20-6 amateur (17 kos, including 12 straight in the first round) and 8-0-2 as a pro.

I think rourke in his prime takes it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted