1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Henry had a progressive generative disease at time of death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jun 28, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10179/1068847-114.stm

Some great reporting here.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is the kind of story that reminds those of us who still are hanging around the business why newspaper reporting, at its best, still has an important place in this country.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So does that explain some of Henry's bizarre behavior at other times in his career?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Who edited it though? Pass receiver?

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Great reporting? This was 90 percent from the doctors who conducted Henry's brain exam. It's all over the wires.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ditto. Great reporting my ass. He didn't uncover anything new. It's a good story and that's about as far as it goes.
    Perhaps this does explain Henry's behavior.
    Now if you really want to make this a better story, how about looking at the brain of some current athletes who have done silly things of late. I'd be interested to see progressive this disease is in them.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Great idea. Let's kill some athletes so we can autopsy their brains.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Did I really have to look to see who posted the comment before Rags'?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know who is a bigger jackass. The guy who thinks he is a moderator or the idiot that follows him with a stupid comment. It doesn't matter.
    No one is advocating killing anyone dumbnuts. I'm not a scientist but I'm sure there are ways to study this in a living being.
    Damn, let's not be stupid for laughs all the time. Maybe Ragu should've called Gene Banks or pleaded to the Byrd family for an answer. Then Killick could've added another worthless comment.
    Just sayin.....

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I laughed out loud. Twice. I now have a signature. Awesome.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

No stars. Start with a backup safety and throw in a long-snapper or two just for kicks.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So how exactly are they supposed to take brain tissue from a living human being? So far, these particular studies are only conducted with actual brain tissue to test.

My understanding is that all they have now that they can do with living athletes are brain function tests they use to evaluate athletes with concussions. They set a baseline, then test again at a later date for comparison. But again, these are based on the athletes answering questions and responding to stimuli. It doesn't reveal as much as testing the actual brain tissue.

Now please, let's try to be on topic. This is important stuff that gets ignored far too often. We don't need more attacks on Drip or Drip attacking everybody else derailing the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted