1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Hanson weeps: Appeals court rules "no actual victim, no actual crime"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 5, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Absolutely right.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that's good. so if the police bring along a junior police officer that is underage and
    the scumbag agrees to meet that person he can be arrested? but if that person
    is an actual adult police officer the scum bag is innocent?

3. I disagree.
    And the police cannot and should not be allowed to create crimes willy-nilly even if it is to find people likely to commit them. We don't convict people for intent who don't act on it. That way lies a whole bag of horrors.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

So showing up to what he believes to be a dwelling where a minor is alone, with sex toys in tow, is not acting with intent?

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Using that standard, what if the person believes he is meeting a person over 18 and the person is actually a minor? Do you take into account his intent, or the reality of the situation?

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

That would be a factual question for a jury to consider. Did the person, by all appearances, appear to be over 18? How much confirmation did the person look for that the person actually was 18? To what extent did the minor lie? Who initiated the sexual encounter? I know that Indiana law gives an out for a defendant who <i>reasonably</i> believes that the minor was of legal age.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So how do the police protect young people from these peds?

Do they hire an actual 13-year-old to chat online?

Why do we need to wait for a victim?

What about a person compiling bomb-making materials in his basement? Is he or she innocent until the thing goes off?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You are being very cavalier with the well being of kids.

It should be a crime. Nothing willy nilly about making it so.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It shouldn't surprise me, since I have been around these boards since the beginning, the number of people here who will vigorously defend the rights of the guys who show up at a house with a Hello Kitty doll, condoms and KY jelly.

10. What's wrong with that? Can't really defend the Hello Kitty doll, but who doesn't need condoms and KY jelly? It's called being a good guest.

Would you show up to a dinner party without a bottle of wine? I think not, my friend.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So are you free Thursday, Dexter?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I agree with Simon. If the act of creating a bomb can be made a crime, so can the act of showing up at a location with alcohol and sex toys with internet transcripts alluding to sexual activity.

Draft saved Draft deleted