1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Hanson weeps: Appeals court rules "no actual victim, no actual crime"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 5, 2009.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a way to give those people "help." How do you reform a pedophile?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends in your definition of re-form, I reckon.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Not by putting them in jail through entrapment.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's about bleepin time.

I have thought for years those so-called "stings" were bogus because the "victim" wasn't who they claimed to be. You can't have a crime against a minor if there IS no minor.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I understand that, but the person getting caught thought he was tricking/convincing a minor to have sex with him and thought he was going to wherever he was caught to do that. Doesn't that count for something?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not for that.

If I go to a store with the intention of stealing a loaf of bread and they are all out of bread, have I committed a crime?

If I go to your house with the intention of killing you and your wife tells me you're not home, so I chat with her for a while and turn around and leave, have I committed a crime?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting case. It sounds so obvious to declare that a crime must have a victim, but it's not that simple.

What other sting operations would be threatened if this ruling were to stand and be held applicable?

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Mark,

If you break into your neighbor's home to steal his stereo, only he took it with him on his vacation, you have committed attempted larceny (and the actual crime of burglary). When you pay an undercover cop to kill the guy who is diddling your wife, you are guilty of attempted murder even though your "hitman" had no intention of carrying out the crime. Impossibility is generally not a defense to a crime. This case is thornier because of the specific crime charged, namely attempted sexual misconduct with a minor. If the statute was more broadly written to include sexual misconduct with someone the man believes to be a minor, this case comes out differently.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's my problem with this. Usually, one these stings, a web site like pervertedjustice has documented proof of said person's intentions and it's documented that said person intends to do these things with someone he/she thinks is a minor.

I'd see it more like calling in a bomb threat to somewhere. Even though there's no actual bomb, your intent is to do something against the law--namely, insight panic. In this case, your intent is to diddle a kiddy. You may not actually diddle said kid, but you're putting the pieces in motion to try to.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The difference in abscam, of course, that the targets are just random folks walking down the street with corruption in their hearts. The FBI doesn't head over to a restaurant and say "that guy looks ripe; let's go after him."

Don't get me wrong - this is a big problem. Just not sure Dateline helping solve it.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Arranging a private meeting with a minor through the internet should be a crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted