1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris De Luca new Sun-Times sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oscar Gamble, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Chris De Luca named Sun-Times sports editor

November 17, 2009

The Chicago Sun-Times on Tuesday named veteran baseball writer Chris De Luca as its new sports editor.

De Luca, who started at the Sun-Times as a copy editor in 1996, has been the paper’s national baseball writer since 2004.

“Chris is perfect for the job. I guarantee our sports coverage will be in good hands,’’ said Don Hayner, editor in chief of the Sun-Times.

During his tenure at the Sun-Times, De Luca has also served as weekend sports editor. He is a Major League Baseball analyst for ESPN’s First Take and SportsCenter.

Before coming to the Sun-Times, De Luca’s previous experience included executive sports editor for Contra Costa Newspapers in California’s Bay Area and sports editor of the Monterey County Herald.

He has also worked for the Escondido Times-Advocate, the Sacramento Bee, the San Diego Union and the Los Angeles Times.

De Luca is the co-author of the book Classic Cubs: A Tribute to the Men and Magic of Wrigley Field and authored a book on the 2005 World Champion White Sox, published by the Sporting News.

De Luca grew up in Sacramento, Calif., and is a graduate of San Diego State University.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1889094,deluca-sun-times-sports-editor-111709.article

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tony Kornheiser doesn't think De Luca's sports section will be able to cover Chicago sports, then. Since he "just" got to town. [/crossthreading]

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

These "makes me feel old" deals are always interesting. Chris DeLuca was a part-timer covering preps for me at one of my tour stops, and obviously very early in his career.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

What's the inside scoop? Did the Sun-Times make a good move? I see no one here has ripped DeLuca yet, so that must be a plus.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's early still.

In that vein, I would suggest that the title of this thread ought to be:

Chris De Luca last Sun-Times sports editor

Can't imagine there will be many more for that place. Sad to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted