1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris De Luca new Sun-Times sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oscar Gamble, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Chris De Luca named Sun-Times sports editor

November 17, 2009

The Chicago Sun-Times on Tuesday named veteran baseball writer Chris De Luca as its new sports editor.

De Luca, who started at the Sun-Times as a copy editor in 1996, has been the paper’s national baseball writer since 2004.

“Chris is perfect for the job. I guarantee our sports coverage will be in good hands,’’ said Don Hayner, editor in chief of the Sun-Times.

During his tenure at the Sun-Times, De Luca has also served as weekend sports editor. He is a Major League Baseball analyst for ESPN’s First Take and SportsCenter.

Before coming to the Sun-Times, De Luca’s previous experience included executive sports editor for Contra Costa Newspapers in California’s Bay Area and sports editor of the Monterey County Herald.

He has also worked for the Escondido Times-Advocate, the Sacramento Bee, the San Diego Union and the Los Angeles Times.

De Luca is the co-author of the book Classic Cubs: A Tribute to the Men and Magic of Wrigley Field and authored a book on the 2005 World Champion White Sox, published by the Sporting News.

De Luca grew up in Sacramento, Calif., and is a graduate of San Diego State University.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1889094,deluca-sun-times-sports-editor-111709.article

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Tony Kornheiser doesn't think De Luca's sports section will be able to cover Chicago sports, then. Since he "just" got to town. [/crossthreading]

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

These "makes me feel old" deals are always interesting. Chris DeLuca was a part-timer covering preps for me at one of my tour stops, and obviously very early in his career.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

What's the inside scoop? Did the Sun-Times make a good move? I see no one here has ripped DeLuca yet, so that must be a plus.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

It's early still.

In that vein, I would suggest that the title of this thread ought to be:

Chris De Luca last Sun-Times sports editor

Can't imagine there will be many more for that place. Sad to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted