1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Christie Takes On Daily News Jet Beat Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Aug 26, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Olbermann's first segment, of his first show ever, was about Mehta and the utter minutiae of the Jets' QB battle. He tried to turn it into some meta-commentary on The Media.

It sucked. If that's all Keith has, it will be a short and painful run.

2. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Mehta's not a beat guy anymore. And he was pretty great with the Star-Ledger. Since heading to NYDN, it's been just.. different. He's a columnist now, preparing to replace Gary Myers with shit-stirring opinion pieces. And it wasn't as simple as him asking Rex a question fans wanted to know. It borders harassment. This NY media agenda to try influencing coaching decisions through snark, sarcasm, and smug reactions is remarkably transparent now. But NY is a tough media town, right? They're hiding behind that reputation while trying to reinforce it.

For NYDN to waste a front page on it, though, shows that it's not just Mehta's agenda to become the story. It's institutionalized. And, really? Name calling? Mehta's the same guy who was trying to get Jets' fans and media to light pitchforks on now-released RB Joe McKnight for insulting someone's girlfriend on Twitter.

NYDN's response turned my stomach. It's a fucking circlejerk now. One big inside joke. I hate myself for wasting time in school learning how to do this the right way, and for wasting most of my 20s trying to be good at it.

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Does it suck because we're on this side of the discussion? Or because it's the Jets and an exhausting argument? I could care less about Olbermann but the discussion holds water -- especially if you follow and consume enough of this information. There's no responsibility to reporting. There are pre-written stories that are published once they have the quotes to support it.

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

shouldn't that headline include a question mark!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wasn't it the NYDN who sent a reporter to follow Rexy on vacation?

Draft saved Draft deleted