1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Christie Takes On Daily News Jet Beat Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

“Idiot. The guy’s a complete idiot. Self-consumed, underpaid, reporter … the only way he’s empowered is because we’re spending all this time talking about Manish Mehta this morning … Who, by the way, I couldn’t pick out of a lineup and no Jets fan gives a damn about Manish Mehta … We shouldn’t be giving this dope, you know, the amount of airtime we’ve given him already.”

Not sure what he was going for with the "underpaid" part.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He must have meant "overpaid," right?

Either that or it was a shot at reporters for not making much money, i.e. that if they had any talent or intelligence, they wouldn't be toiling away for journalist money.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fascinating.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What was the context of Christie's rant? Why was he so pissed at the Jets reporter?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He asked whether Geno Smith had a chance of starting Week 1.

6. Boom_70

He asked the question that set Rex off in post game presser and also wrote in
    Sunday column that Rex should be fired.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Christie's admitted he's a Jets fan? There goes the Presidency!!!

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

If Christie brings in Rich Kotite to work in his campaign, I'm sure Rand Paul will be the GOP nominee.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And a legitimate question, on the minds of every Jets fan. Maybe Rex will return the favor when a reporter ask Christie about people remaining homeless after Sandy.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jets fans notoriously can't stand Manish Mehta, the Jets beat reporter who asked the question(s). They think he has an axe to grind against the Jets and that he tries to make himself part of the story. I've heard at least one member of the media question whether his anonymous sources actually exist (this media member, of course, is a die-hard Jets fan).

I haven't read enough (which is to say none) of Mehta's work, so I can't offer an opinion on the validity of the criticisms, but Christie is among the fans who despise him.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Geez, I figured Jets fans weren't too bright but I didn't know they had a Kentucky basketball level of insanity.

12. Boom_70

The News fires back:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted