1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Carpenter: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

utterly ridiculous, whitman. c'mon, man. wish i had you as a teacher, though. what an easy grader!!

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

wow. three top 3 finishes? bfd. know how many WINNERS sren't in the hof? most of 'em. geez, man. come back to us.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jack Morris is a Hall of Famer before Chris Carpenter.

If one great postseason game gets a guy in the Hall of Fame then a 10-inning complete game shutout in Game 7 of the World Series outdistances anything this fucking guy has done in his career.

Now, if there is a Douchebag Hall of Fame, Carpenter is a first ballot selection. Along with his manager.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're assuming a guy who has basically missed three full seasons due to injury in his last nine years will remain healthy enough and effective enough to approach these numbers.

It's worth wondering if Carpenter could have been a HOFer if he'd been healthy and in St. Louis his entire career. Everything else is a non-starter.

5. Armchair_QB

Actually it's not the answer.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hahahahah the whole time I'm watching that game Friday night I'm thinking "A_QB must be losing his fucking mind."

7. Armchair_QB

What game?

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

How many times you going to redraft what you were asking in the original post?

The issue has a lot to do with tone. You passed off 200 wins like it is something he will definitely get.

Even if he becomes one of the best ever from age 37 and on he probably still won't get in. Yes all those guys got a good amount of wins after that age. Problem is they all had horrible ERA's and were just mediocre, innings eaters. Carp's ERA is already horrible for a HOF. He may hang on and get 200-240 wins but that isn't just in the cusp of HOF consideration for wins and he will have no other statistic that is HOF worthy.

The only, and I do mean only, way he get's HOF is if he someone has at least four more seasons with a sub-3.5 ERA, 200+ innings, 15+ wins. That is incredibly unlikely and even then he is just barely in the cusp of a possibility. He still wouldn't be a very good candidate.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's not. The end. For a variety of reasons:

1.) In the '10s, guys don't get healthier and more effective as they get older. Wait. He pitches for the Cardinals? OK maybe he will. #HiAQB

2.) Carpenter isn't a junk-throwing lefty like Moyer, John and Wells, or the smartest and greatest pitcher of the last 100 years like Maddux or the purest right-handed pitcher of the last 100 years like Seaver or the most dominant lefty of the last 100 years like Johnson. You are cherry picking outliers who thrived at 37+ and assuming Carpenter compares. He doesn't. He's a very, very good pitcher whose ERA and WHIP have risen in each of the last two years (granted, along with his IP) during his age 35 and age 36 seasons. He's going to be a perfectly good pitcher for two more years and that is going to be that. And five seasons after he retires he'll enjoy one year on the HOF ballot.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Oh and there is a laundry list of pitchers and hitters who could be a HOF possibility if they somehow triumph and become one of the best ever old players. Maybe I'll start 20 threads, one for each player who could be HOF with this.

Just admit you are wrong and be done with it. Or keep digging that hole until you reach Japan where baseball fans may not laugh at this idea.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Your assumption generated my discussion. How is mine different?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

A.) Then why start the discussion? Marvel at his performance Friday. Posit that he's been one of the more underrated pitchers of the last eight years, or wonder what he could have done if he was healthy for 15 years. But any HOF discussion about the guy is a non-starter.

B.) I already wrote his peak wasn't nearly good enough to get him into the HOF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.