1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Borland walks away from football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My sone quit high school football before his junior year after a concussion. He was set to be a starter, and I thought he would really regret it, but it didn't seem to bother him at all.

Went full bore into wrestling and did great. A skin disease or two, but no more concussions.

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Yeah, he likes the trash talk.

I quit soccer my junior year of college, I was 27, my knees and hip flex were all pain, it wasnt fun any more, 2 years that I spent in the training room.

Is not an easy decision but you have to look up for your health.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Seven years of college down the drain...

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Actually it was 3 years of learning how to speak in English at a community college.

After not making the LA Galaxy I decided to use a college facility so I could get back to my pro trials, spent 2 years in college but the injuries made me realize a pro career as a player was not for me, got my degree at 28, im glad, I would be working at a MC Donald now.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In five years, the lowest-paid NFL player will make what will take me 50 years to make. That makes it "big, big money" in my book.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

These are the absolute worst comparisons and misses the point by a country mile.

Riptide likes this.
  8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

You dont need to make that much money to have a good life.

Sports can be cruel for some people.

Denilson went to Betis (Soccer) as the most expensive player in the world, he was not as good as the money they paid for him, he said at some point he couldnt sleep because of the pressure...

Sports can hurt you pretty bad physically and mentally, you have to know when is just not healthy for you anymore and throw the towell, for your own good.

Do you think is an easy decision to quit the sport you love?

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Wait, you played pro before you played in college?

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of stuff like this happening in rugby, and that sport is forever governed by contact.
    There's contact sports, and then there's American football.
    Read something last week that a professional football player covering 15 mph can uncoil more kinetic energy than a bullet.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Guns don't kill people ...

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

The ncaa wont even let you get an agent... long story short, I played at a very strong hispanic league in Los Angeles called "semi-pro," before college..

Draft saved Draft deleted