1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Borland walks away from football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

49ers linebacker, rookie last year and a third-round draft pick, concerned about his long-term health:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/s...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

You have to wonder if a lot of guys with other options for their futures are going to be doing the same. One-year money grab. See what it's like to play in the NFL. Go put on a suit now.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is what could really put a dent in the league. But then history has shown that there is no shortage of folks willing to take the chance at money and fame -- consequences be damned.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't think this was something he planned to do. It's not like he's walking away with the money that Patrick Willis and Jake Locker and Jason Worilds did.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought I read that he's been thinking about it for a good while.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wonder what the percentage is of NFL players (or any professional athletes, really) who have viable "other options" after their first year as a pro.

What's the college graduation rate for NFL players?

That's a legitimate question, by the way, not a shot. I really have no idea what it is.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I bet the graduation rate is pretty high - 50 percent?

A lot of others are probably a year or so away, or a semester because they were Combine prepping.

And I suspect a lot of them have other options. I rarely talked to a former player at the school I covered who didn't have people tripping over themselves to give him a gig leveraging his name to sell loans or some other business job.

I knew a guy in law school who was a walk-on at Notre Dame. He said it was the first question in every single interview he had with a firm. He's at one of those New York firms now that pay annual bonuses equal to 10 years of a sports writer's salary.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I meant before he was drafted. Was there something that said he thought about quitting before then?

8. JackReacher

Hm. I can't remember, to be honest. It definitely didn't sound like it was A) something he decided two days ago or B) a fuck you to the 49ers.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I just wonder if he got scanned at the end of the season and saw something that scared him.

Or if you believe the 49ers sites... Maybe he saw what a dipshit his new coach is and said, "Screw you, I'm walking away from this shit team." :D

10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Playing sports is fun untill you spend 2 years in the training room after all the beating your body takes.

Pele wanted to quit at one point, FIFA had to change the game of soccer so Maradona and Gonzalez didnt have a broken leg every game.

At one point in college, I was taking 3 Ibufrofens everyday before practice, that cant be healthy..

11. JackReacher

12. RecoveringJournalist

Draft saved Draft deleted