1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris "Bones" Jones?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Isn't Hamilton Nolan the same guy who wrote the story a while back that got Jones all riled up?

Got my fantasy team name for next year: Mister Creosote's Dynamite Drop-Ins. That guy is showing some serious hustle on this thread.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was John Cook. There's so many it's hard to keep track.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's hoping Jones' ring excursion goes better for him than it did for this other sportswriter named Chris:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20081010/NEWS/810090214

(P.S., watch the video linked on the left side. It's priceless).

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How do you pronounce Creosote?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Hi. If it's OK, I'm gonna reply on this one. If it's not OK, I'm gonna reply on this one. The voices in my head are arguing. Hang on.

OK, back. Part I: I'd happily box Jones but only out of respect and camaraderie, not anger. That's what boxing is supposed to be, and usually is. And I'm positive Jones, who I've met once (in a bar, not a boxing ring) and had a lovely time with, would agree.

Part II: Listen, I understand exactly what Jones was doing in his bio because -- as some folks around here seem to know -- I've been there and done that. I'd like to explain why, and while I can't speak for Jones at all, I'm guessing I will be: I get insulted regularly by people, and I take it. I accept it. I understand it. Hell, most of the time I'm complimented by it. But eventually, all those teaspoons of crap become a dumpster and someone says something just a bit too ... stupid ... and I snap. That was me years ago, and I stayed snapped for a few years. I'm healed now, or as healed as someone like me can reasonably hope to get.

But part of it is, I was boxing. Just like Jones is now. And when you box (or do jiu-jitsu or anything involving one-on-one combat, maybe), your fear is gone. That's just how it is. And it is SO freeing, to know -- even if you're wrong -- that whatever happens tonight, if a fight breaks out, I'm going to be ok. That's a nice feeling to have, and I encourage everyone to have it. For years I wondered and even worried, "What happens if I find myself in a fight?" And now I know what would happen, and it doesn't scare me. That's where I was when I embraced boxing ... and when you take that freedom from fear and factor in those teaspoons of dung that become a dumpster, and someone crosses the line and you snap, now you're thinking, "Wait a minute: This guy is acting tough; I AM tough. Let's dispense with the stupid online sparring and really do it. In the ring of course. Respectfully, of course. But let's see just how tough-and-brave this online knucklehead really is." An Ohio State fan crossed the line with me about six months ago, even told me, "You're lucky I don't live in Cincy or I'd come to your gym and kick your ass." So I invited him to the gym for sparring, told him it was only 90 miles from his house, and if he really wanted me, he should make it happen. He showed up! We sparred. He'd probably never boxed before; he was definitely terrible. We went a round, and then he rested two rounds while I sparred with other guys. Then we repeated that sequence a few more times. And when it was over we hugged and talked and are friendly now online.

He went back to Columbus and joined a boxing gym.

Point being, boxing is camaraderie and fun, but also it lets people like me know how far we can go, how tough MAYBE we can be, and it's exhilarating. And it's hard to keep that exuberance to yourself. Lord knows I sprayed mine all over the place for a few years. It sounds like Jones is spraying his now. I don't know. I love that guy, is all I know.

Then again, no, I won't spar with Jones. I got a dinged a few months ago in sparring, and the rest of that day I literally was dumber than I normally am. That scared me. So I'm done sparring. I hope someone takes Jones up on his offer, though. It would be enlightening for both parties.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Lock it up. Gregggggg's post is the logical conclusion to this thread.

7. Boom_70

And on that note we anxiously await the arrival of the king to favor us with his thoughts on the matter.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is it true Bones Jones fought on Mike Tyson Punchout?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"dear in the headlights?"

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1. It was done with love. Chris knows I love him.

2. The "dear" was actually from the website. The Sports Illustrated was done purposely too.

3. It was done with love. Chris knows I love him.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

12. Boom_70

Worrying about getting into a fight seems like a tough way to go through life. At least though you overcame your fears and shortcomings through boxing. As we read day in and day out, too many folks are compensating by buying a Glock.

Draft saved Draft deleted