1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Berman wins Pro Football Hall of Fame's Rozelle Award

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Release the hounds ...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/07/pro-football-hall-of-fame-will-honor-espns-chris-berman-with-pete-rozelle-award/1

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for keeping this off the Journalism board.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, we're all tired of his schtick now. But the guy has been National Sportscaster of the Year six times and he's been the face of the NFL on ESPN for nearly three decades.

I do not have a problem with this selection.

As I told a friend who's heavily into college hoopes, he's basically to the NFL what Dick Vitale is to college hoops. And no one would have a problem with Dick Vitale getting a college hoops hall of fame media citation.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dick Vitale has the sense to largely restrict his commentary to college
    basketball (I know, there have been VERY isolated exceptions, but very, very few).

The other guy? Not so much.

I don't hate CB like the vast majority of this board, but the guy has overplayed his hand, and it's hurt his legacy.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The selection will cause the usual amoung of teeth gnashing around here. But it's deserved. Impossible to argue otherwise.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're with me, Leather Helmet.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Berman deserves his spot, despite the fact he's become a parody of the parody that used to be himself.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the kneecap fund is about $500.....

9. CR19

CR19 Member

Vitale has only commented on college hoops, except for a baseball game or two. Chris Berman, on the other hand, "Back, back, back, back, gone!" He is one of the more annoying commentators at ESPN. I'd rather see a John Clayton, Adam Schefter, or Chris Mortensen get this award.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never mind his atrocious U.S. Open "commentary."

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Clayton has already won it.

Clarification: Clayton won the Dick McCann Award, which goes to writers. Peter King and Len Pasquarelli have also won the McCann award.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only way I'll defend Berman at all is that early in his career he was great. He was such a breath of fresh air compared to other broadcasters and back when I was in college, I would have definitely claimed him as my favorite broadcaster.

Granted, back then I would have said Rick Reilly was the best print journalist out there by several miles.

Right now, that seems like a long, long time ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted