1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Benoit and family found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Jun 25, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Saw this on wrestlingobserver.com

Son of a bitch.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jesus.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitdead

Not a huge wrestling fan...but Benoit was good.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hate to ask this, but could this be a story line type thing for the WWE?

You'd like to think even the WWE wouldn't stoop that low, but you never know.

It probably is true, which is extremely saddening.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Meltzer has connections outside of the WWE. Had this been another stupid angle, he would have known it.

I'm just stunned.

Eddy Guerrero and now Chris Benoit. No wonder I rarely watch wrestling anymore.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, considering they're in the middle of stooping that low (Mr. McMahon's storyline death by exploding limo), nothing would shock me. But Dave Meltzer wouldn't be reporting it as real. So it sounds like the real deal.

A damn harsh blow for wrestling fans (particularly Canadian ones; he was probably the most well known non-Hart Canada has produced as wrestlers go)

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm a former Wrestling fan, haven't followed it at all for the last 7 years, but this sucks. I was a huge Benoit fan, and even got a little bit interested again when he became the champ in the early 2000's. This sucks. Are there anymore details than they were just found dead?

RIP, Wolverine.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Beef: I think this news just broke in the last hour. Probably a little while before anything becomes known about this. But he left the PPV last night to tend to "a family emergency". What that ended up being, or whether it had anything to do with this (although it almost has to) has yet to be determined.

A tough time for Bret Hart, who now has lost a brother (Owen), brother-in-law (Davey Boy Smith) and friend (Benoit). And, spookily enough, a former tag team partner of Benoit's in Stampede Wrestling in the late 80's, Biff Wellington, was found dead yesterday.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything on the AJC site about this.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And it didn't hit me until just now, but Benoit's wife, who also died? That would be Nancy "Woman" Sullivan, former wife of Kevin Sullivan and valet to the likes of Ric Flair and Doom back in the day.

And a young son, which sucks worst of all.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No mention of this on an actual news outlet anywhere - and yet the WWE has already issued a public statement?

"WWE is sad to report that Chris Benoit and his family have been found dead in their home. Police are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths. Tonight's Raw will be a tribute to Chris and his family."

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The only websites with this story are wrestling-related sites.

RIP if that's the case, but I'm a little skeptical right now.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, it's on wikipedia, so it HAS to be true!

Meltzer wouldn't go along with this if it's an angle. He's a legit good journalist (writing leaves something to be desired, but strong reporting skills and fantastically detailed obituaries).

The Calgary papers are who to watch. That's where Benoit was born, where he spent much of his earlier career, and wrestling is revered there like few, if any, other cities north of Mexico and east of Japan.

Draft saved Draft deleted