1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Ballard's NBA book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaulS, Nov 17, 2009.

1. PaulS

PaulS Member

Purchased "The Art of a Beautiful Game" on Tuesday. Any reviews?

2. spud

spud Member

Want to say I read a quick review on Deadspin, which was extremely complimentary.

Edit: Not a review per se, but a book snippit, and a great one at that.

http://deadspin.com/5402465/book-excerpts-that-dont-suck-the-art-of-a-beautiful-game

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Which is better way to go, Ballard's book or Simmons' book?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The excerpt in SI a few weeks back was interesting. Ballard might be my favorite writer on the NBA. He doesn't just throw in the obligatory, "X Player shoots 1,000 jumpers a day, worked on his drop-step...." but gets inside a player's head.

5. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Ballard's book will probably be on the Christmas list. In my opinion, he's made SI's NBA transition from McCallum pretty smooth. Sort of different styles between the two, but both are excellent.

6. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

I purchased both books and started with Simmons. I like him. But to be honest, if Ballard's book is half the intelligent, insightful examination the blurbs say it is -- and Ballard's history suggests -- I can't imagine it's not the better choice. Simmons' book, from what I've read so far, has some good analysis but is painfully (and predictably) indulgent and desperately in need of editing.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Thanks, Hoo, sounds like order in which I should tackle them.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I'm about three chapters into Ballard's book. It's alright, pretty much a look at the art of the different aspects of the game, such as shooting, rebounding, dunking, etc.

There is, however, too much forced humor for my taste, and Ballard does make himself a central figure of the book unashamedly. Not bad, I guess, but just something I don't like reading from writers.

I love the concept. I just think it could be executed better, atleast so far.

9. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

I finished Ballard's book over Thanksgiving and liked it a lot. If you love the game of basketball, you should read it. You'll probably learn a lot about the game's intricacies -- or at least the details on how the world's best players work.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. It's basically for those who say that the only intricacy in basketball is rolling the ball out there and letting guys play.

11. PaulS

PaulS Member

Just finished it. Liked it. Even better - my seventh-grade son who rarely reads is plowing through it. That's a better recommendation than any I can give it.

Draft saved Draft deleted