1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Ballard on Jake Plummer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 10, 2011.

1. T. Petty

T. Petty New Member

It did seem as though the question was left on the table.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but which two?

Plummer was already a seasoned vet when he got to Denver and while I agree Shanahan ran him out of town, he did milk Plummer pretty effectively first. I can't imagine you are talking about Cutler, who was pretty successful under Shanahan before feuding with McDaniels.

Shanahan isn't/wasn't perfect, but I think some of the heat being placed on him here is a big much. He probably switched away from Plummer too early, but I guarantee Denver would be in a better position today if Shanahan hadn't been fired. (Though, that says more about McDaniels than Shanahan.)

"Mastermind"? Time has revealed probably not. But he was plenty successful.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

This is an interesting fly-in-the-ointment take on Plummer, and I was wondering if you couild be a little more specific about what he did to make you feel that way about him when you covered him. Just curious. The intensity of his personality certainly comes out in the SI piece, so that's consistent with what your experience with him was.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I liked his style at ASU and despite the obvious comparisons to Montana made by everyone I was disheartened when he went to the Cards in the 2nd round and the Niners went with Jim Drukenmiller in the 1st.

He seems like a guy who has found what he's wanted (great when you make $30M and don't spend it like he says, and then live modestly.) Congrats to him.

As for the close to bride, who really knows what anyone's relationship is. He's happy now, that's probably what all that matters. Even if he made promises he did not keep, better that he bailed then than later.

5. Holy Bull,

His typical response to the most innocuous of questions would be "fuck you" or "fuck you guys." Or in a press-conference setting just mutter something under his breath that the mikes wouldn't pick up as he arrived/left, but that those of us sitting around him could hear.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

In that case, "unrelenting asshole" works for me.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe he has Turrets Syndrome

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I read the story in the magazine and enjoyed it. The picture that accompanies it has him drinking a Bud Light with Clamato. Ick.

Draft saved Draft deleted