1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Ballard on Jake Plummer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And he did not even have to resort to the lame "an SI Reporter talked to Plummer...."

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Would have liked more on how he processed Tillman's death and something on the political fallout from that. At least ask him the question.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, I'd have to disagree on that. Tillman/politics has become a third rail that overwhelms whatever the story is supposed to be about. There was plenty on Tillman IMO.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Read the first page and enjoyed it, but I"m not reading eight more of them online.

Somewhere I'll find a print copy. Interesting story. If I had millions in the bank I'd walk away, too.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I love the total awkwardness of the forced third-person "told a reporter" gimmick. Gosh, who? Gotta be able to write around that somehow. Ballard is high on my SI underappreciated list.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A disciplined writer (not that this isn't) could work it in without poisoning the story. You have one of his best friends at a table and you're talking at length. It's more interesting and socially useful than his handball achievements.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great read. I was wondering just the other day what had happened to Plummer.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Plummer and his free wheeling life and play, but he did nothing but win in Denver and I believe the current demise of the Broncos started when Shanahan screwed him over. No matter how you feel about a guy, and it's obvious they didn't get along, most coaches don't move up to draft a hot-shot QB when their current one is in his prime and just went to the playoffs three straight years, including a 13-3 record and AFC title game appearance the year before. They were also 7-3 when word came that Plummer would soon be benched for Cutler. The Broncos haven't been to the playoffs since.

It was a good read and as a rare Broncos fan who sides with Plummer over Shanny I'm glad to see he's content and doing his own thing.

9. Really liked the story from Ballard, and he really has me reconsidering Plummer.

Covered Jake for two seasons, and he was an unrelenting asshole. Not just to me, not just to reporters but to everybody. Almost all the time, for no particular reasons. The Ballard story doesn't mention the time Plummer jilted his would-be bride at the altar either.

But now I'm thinking maybe he was just a miserable person because he hated himself, his job, his girlfriend, etc. at the time. The guy described in the Ballard story is a different person than the one I encountered.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe Jake can invite McNabb to next year's handball tournament.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was always wondering about Jake Plummer. About how he was made the fall guy. Then again, Mike Shanahan has mastered the blame game. He thinks his two Super Bowls gave him license to do so and keep his winning reputation intact.

Um, no it didn't, Mr. Shanahan. Blame Brian Griese. Blame Jake Plummer. Blame defensive coordinator after defensive coordinator. It just gave us a better view of your true colors. Denver saw it, and D.C. is getting a really good glimpse of the same. Blame Donovan McNabb.

As for Jake Plummer, money never really motivated him, obviously. He was brought up in the woods and believes in family and doing what makes him and his family happy. Good for him. Nice story.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was a heckuva story and well told. Great anecdote about how he worked with Meals on Wheels and how he reluctantly mentioned that he played in the NFL to get a the program's director to stop asking him to track his mileage for reimbursement. The woman had no idea he was that Jake Plummer.

Draft saved Draft deleted