1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Ballard on Bobby Valentine, SI 4/30

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Can anyone figure out this sentence from the piece?

Fans cut the confetti into perfect little slices to make it easier for the street sweepers to pick up.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

baseball in general is very uptight and old-school, whichis why bobby v. is so reviled in major-league circles, imo. the king of the uptight is buck showalter. man, do i resent the hell out of that guy. :eek:

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The Baylor line cracked me up. Mostly just that someone would brag about his baseball know-how. "Well Don Baylor always said..." That should be a new wristband, WWDBD.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I haven't read Ballard's story yet, but I'm halfway through Verducci's story on A-Rod. The guy is a board favorite, and with good reason. He tells more about why A-Rod's off to this unreal start in this one story than all of the segments on Baseball Tonight, with its former players who are supposed to provide insight. The former players talk in generalities about how A-Rod is more comfortable and all that, while Verducci spoke to the Yankees hitting coach and concisely broke down the three mechanical changes to his swing that have been the real reason why he's hitting the way he is. The guy's just a great reporter.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't read it yet, but isn't Valentine's dream job to manage the Dodgers? I thought I've heard him say that before, or read it, or heard someone allude to it.

6. Very nice piece of work, adnd I could care less about the subject.

7. Songbird

on page 3, but had to post this part because it's funny:

8. Songbird

Home run ending. I wonder if that line was the premise to the entire story. If you have that kind of ending, the meat and potatoes fall into place.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Bobby V is in the level right below Steve Spurrier. I loves me some Valentine.

10. Songbird

You just want free ballroom dance lessons, IJAG.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um,no. I don't even watch Dancing with the Stars. But if Bobby V were on it I would. :D

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Ballard did a good job with the story, but stop me if you've heard this before ... Valentine is the smartest guy in baseball. So smart, in fact, that any shortcomings he has aren't actually his shortcomings so much as they are everyone else failing to appreciate that he's the smartest guy in baseball. Nothing new here. Just a few new twists on an old story. They can love him in Japan all they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted