1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Ballard in this week's SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I tend to post a lot of griping about SI on here, but Chris Ballard's back-page column this week is outstanding. Immense amount of detail. And I like that the national columnist doesn't mind referencing the tiny daily newspaper that first brought the story to light.

Here's the link:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156477/index.htm

Most sobering thing is something I picked up on second read: The young man was a high school junior in 2005.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

This is the best back-page piece SI has had in years.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

I thought it was great, too.
    Really simple and really evocative.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A great read. (Makes me guilty about sitting here on my fat butt.)

Thoughts and prayers that this story ends with mother and son running that final mile side by side.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Really good, as was the Alzheimer's one last week. (Or maybe the week before?)

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, an excellent read. They should have just given Ballard the back page after Reilly left instead of throwing all that money at Selena Roberts.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Great story.

As I started reading it, and then saw the sentence where Brian was sent to Iraq, I started fearing the worst -- that the story would end with the son dying in combat and her running in his memory.

Fortunately, Brian's still OK and I hope he'll be running side by side with Mom soon.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah I also loved that story. Well done Chris

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

wonderful piece. not overdone. hit all the right notes. eager to have mrs. shockey read it. :) :) :)

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It was last week.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156219/index.htm

The Point Afters, as a whole, have been fine IMO. There have been some that have been underwhelming, but at least they never feel mailed in, like the last several years of Reilly.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Agreed. I think Phil Taylor has been doing some nice stuff lately, too.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Had the same thought in MPCinCal midway through -- please let this story not end the way it could end ...

Draft saved Draft deleted