1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

chris ballard can relate to jeter, 7/18 s.i.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jul 14, 2011.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is gonna sound harsher than I mean it to, but seriously ... what the hell would Gary Smith do if he ever encountered a subject who didn't have a childhood trauma/dead parent issue he could plumb for explanation of how the guy is now? Would he still be able to write?

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Ballard's last paragraph was simply phenomenal. Amazing rhythm, plays to the entire tone of the story but instantly gets a little more formal, and then one hell of an ending.

"So, like Jeter, I refuse to listen. The 20-year-old point guard drives left, zipping by me. I turn and give chase, though really it is not him I pursue, but a younger version of myself. I know it could be futile, but I do it anyway. For what scares me is not the day when I cannot catch him. It is the day when I don't try."

3. As a very soon to be 37 yo who has lost what little defensive skills I had, loved the way Ballard totally captured the inner battle between who we are and who we used to be. Best thing I've read in some time.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

he'll write the hell out of that story, too.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have long loved Carlos Ruiz (long being like two years). The Dodgers-Phils playoff series at CBP where it seemed that every time he came up was a homer or an extra-bagger for a few runs. Just a great run. And seemed to be a good guy.

Smith's piece was so good. And I'm biased toward him and Ruiz. But I just thought it was.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Really, 2,000 words too long? That's half the story. It's a matter of taste, sure, but if you thought this story was 2,000 words too long, I'm surprised you ever like Smith's stories, most of which are longer.

7. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Plumbing for an explanation of his subjects is what makes Smith great. Some of his subjects have had rough childhoods. But he's written plenty of great stories about other subjects. Two of them, off the top of my head:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1013461/1/index.htm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005355/index.htm

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Man and woman! I loved it. The part about the Advil really made me smile because I've picked tennis back up recently, and I can't do it without Advil.

The last line's so sweet because in writing the column he finally understands Ali, Favre, etc. Shuddered at the thought of stopping trying.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What ever happened to Selena Roberts? I thought she was Rick Reilly's replacement on back page.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

exactly. loved it, too. i'm 38.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well done by Ballard. Just diving into the climbing story. Solid issue after the one-week hiatus.

Draft saved Draft deleted