1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chores you hate/chores you love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You are a God. I would mow my yard a lot more regularly if that was the case. I do have a magnet coozie, though. I wonder if that would work.
    Be back in about 45 minutes.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Nope. Didn't work. Fell off before I even cracked open the beer.
    Guess I need a new mower.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I hate folding clothes. I don't mind washing and drying (hell, the machine does all the work), but I hate folding clothes. I've pretty much spent my entire adult life living out of a laundry basket. I hang up my dress clothes to dry and I leave my underwear/undershirts/socks/sleep clothes in the laundry basket.

The one chore I love doing is mowing the yard. I know a lot of people that hate mowing the yard, but with my riding mower, it's something I actually look forward to doing (usually because it's done on my only day off). I jam out to some tunes or I listen to talk radio while I'm mowing, so it makes the time go by fast. Now, weed eating is for the birds, but I enjoy mowing.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The one chore I hate, and this is completely irrational because it's about the easiest one in the house, is emptying the dishwasher. Mowing is fine. Oh, yeah, and I also hate when we take the back porch down for the winter in the fall, but my motivation there is obvious.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am heartened to see that I'm not the only one who hates emptying the dishwasher.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Washington Post is looking for a blogger to cover conservatives. This should get you at least a week's run.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How true. I only have area rugs on hardwood floors, but sometimes I wish I had carpeting for the satisfaction of vacuuming.

My parents had a house with one of those central-vac units (plug a hose into a hole in any room and have at it), I thought that was about the coolest thing ever.

8. Pimpin' ugly hoes/eating coochie.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Love doing the laundry. Can fill and empty the washer and dryer with ease, then fold clothes will watching TV. Can't get much easier than that for chores.
    Hate doing dishes, even with a TV set in the kitchen. A few of my summer jobs growing up revolved around washing dishes and the disdain has yet to leave me.
    Sidebar on laundry:
    My first newspaper job was at a weekly in Iowa. Since the publication was Wednesday, the writers had that day off, so that's when I did laundry.
    I'd fill my duffel bag with dirty clothes and head over a few blocks to laundromat. Usually only took to washers -- whites and colored (insert segregation joke here) -- and two dryers.
    The place had a TV with cable and a VCR machine, and it also rented VCR tapes and had a cheap concession stand. The extras really made the time fly.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dishwasher and laundry are fine by me. And I love cooking. Bathrooms? Nein

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'll do the dishes only if there is a dishwasher. If there is none, then they have sat in the sink for weeks on end until I finally get the nerve up to sort through, toss what has mould on it and then wash it all in one shot. I hate washing dishes so very, very much.

Laundry is so easy, would be even better if my new apartment had an ensuite washer/dryer instead of a shared coin opperated set up which is a bit of a pain in the ass. But folding is no problem either. Actually going way back into my childhood that is how my mom and I would usually talk was over folding about four loads of laundry with the tv going in the background. Can do it and not even think about it. It is actually the one chore I have no quams with at all, hell I find it relaxing even.

Mowing the grass isnt a problem as long as I have a real lawn mower. Again, growing up my parents insisted on buying pieces of shit used electric mowers that had to be plugged in while you mowed. Huge pain in the ass -- no power and that damn cord always in the way. That was until I moved out and they had to cut the grass themselves and realized I wasn't just a whiner. Suddenly that's when they decided a new gas mower was needed. Still pissed over that. I even like the sound of the gas mowers -- I worked at a golf course fo four summers growing up.

Also shoveling the walk is a big no-no for me. Freeze my ass off for an hour while shovelling out from a snow storm only so I can do the same thing again a few days later after the next blizzard? F*ck that noise. I'd much rather stay in where it is nice and warm.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you don't shovel the walk, what happens? In New England, you get a ticket if you live in the city. In the suburbs, where I live, it means you might not get to your car for a month.

Draft saved Draft deleted