1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chores you hate/chores you love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jun 25, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let's face it. We all have those tasks around the house that we just. can't. stand. Some people can't stand mowing the lawn. Some people would rather eat Sarah Palin out than clean their bathroom.

Then there are the chores people either love or can at least tolerate more than any other. Perhaps some folks can't wait to get out there and mow the lawn. Maybe someone draws perverse pleasure from cleaning a bathroom, or at least enjoys the end result of doing so.

What about you?

For me, the chore I hate most of all, even more than my old standby of mowing the lawn, is washing a car. In particular, washing a car that isn't mine and I never drive. My stepdad once basically forced me to wash his car. I resented him for days.

I used to hate cleaning the bird room, but now that we no longer have birds, that is no longer an issue.

As for the chore I genuinely enjoy, it's definitely grocery shopping. Besides the challenge of finding the best value for my money, once I got food stamps, grocery shopping was the one way I could contribute to the house when I was unemployed and had no income at all. It made me feel then like I was a contributing member of my household, and by extension, a contributing member of society.

Even now, I still feel good about going to the grocery store to get food.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I hate doing the dishes. There seems to be too many steps of washing, rinsing, drying and putting away.

I'm with you on washing cars, as well. I spent a couple summer washing cars at my brother's detail shop and no longer can do it.

I enjoy laundry. It's easy to put clothes in the washer, move them to the dryer, remove and fold or hang up. There's something peaceful in putting away fresh, clean clothes.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I hate cleaning house; I hate cutting grass. yet I do both.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hate cleaning the bathroom.

But I really enjoy servicing the wife.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't most people (men and lesbians, at least) prefer to eat out Sarah Palin than clean the bathroom? I mean, she might be about as bright as the toilet, but she's easy on the eyes.

That said, I don't mind doing the laundry, but I hate putting it away. Folding clothes annoys the shit out of me. Making the bed is for suckers, too.

I rather enjoy sweeping for some reason.

I love washing and cleaning out my car. Spending an hour or two washing, waxing and vacuuming it and seeing it gleam afterwards is quite satisfying.

Nothing wrong with mowing the lawn if you have a rider or a small lawn, either.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I hate, hate, hate emptying the dishwasher.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're supposed to empty it??

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

In theory.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd rather take an ass-whipping than wash the dishes by hand. My hands are too big to fit into the glasses and I can never get pots and pans as clean as they need to be.

I enjoy cutting the grass, provided I have a good riding mower. Just load up the iPod with podcasts and I'm good to go.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Vacuuming is good. I don't mind that. Doing the dishes is fine.

Laundry -- I hate folding clothes, and I'm terrible at it. Seriously, if I don't iron something (which I don't mind doing) it will be wrinkled, no matter how much effort I put into folding it.

Lawn mowing is OK. Don't enjoy it, but don't hate it either.

Cleaning the bathrooms sucks. It's just so nasty sometimes.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I like to mow the lawn and actually don't mind doing laundry, folding clothes, etc.

I hate to vacum or wash dishes.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drill baby drill!!

Draft saved Draft deleted