1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing an airline

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, May 3, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Southwest just doesn't fly where I want to go. That's kind of a deal breaker.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

They are making in roads in a lot of areas.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'll generally fly the cheapest airline, no matter what. It's been awhile since that guiding light has led me to Southwest. I usually don't check bags, anyway.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll give 'em a B+ in one hemisphere, and an incomplete in the other three.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Midwest. They bake chocolate chip cookies on board. You get two. And then all the double vodka tonics you can afford.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, they do a good job.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I used to be this way. But it turns out cheaper in the long run if I avoid American because the $20 I may pay extra for a ticket on a different airline pales in comparison to the three-four airport beers I purchase waiting for a delayed flight.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With whatever airline you choose be sure to phone ahead before heading to the airport
    in case of delays.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There's still hope, Boom. You may yet become the world's last travel agent. ;)

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Great advice. Doesn't help if you are on a layover.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't shop on price alone. Make sure you factor in additional fees the airline charges.
    For instance, later this summer Frontier Airlines will start charging for carry-ons (no fee if booked directly through the airline or if the bag fits under the seat; $25 if booked in advance through a travel website, or $100 at the gate). You read that right -- a $100 carry-on fee if you have to pay it at the gate.
    Later this summer they're also going to start charging $2 for soda, water, tea, and coffee.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

If the bag *fits* under the seat, or if it's placed there?

I wish gate agents would apply the carry on rules -- I see so much stuff that should not be allowed brought on anyway.

My bag fits under the seat in front of me, but I try to put it in the overhead compartment anyway. Depends on the situation and space, really, but I get tired of people bringing in some huge-ass roller bag, a duffel twice the size of my bag, a computer case my dog could fit into, a huge overcoat and some type of supplemental crap like food, reading material or what have you and then expect me to move my bag because it's in their way and it will fit into the seat in front of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted