1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing an airline

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, May 3, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm looking at possibly flying to Arizona for a short vacation in December. Being a Canuck I've only ever flown Air Canada and West Jet, I have no conscious experience with any U.S. airlines -- I think we flew TWA or something when I was knee high to a grasshopper and flying to Fla. Is there a consensus airline that I should avoid at all costs? Right now Delta is cheapest by almost $100, would I be miserable if I choose them?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I avoid United and US Air when at all possible. I'm stuck with Delta, living in Atlanta, but it's not terrible. If I remember correctly, you're tall? If so, good luck in coach. I don't know how the space is in Canadian planes, but there's not a lot of leg room on US planes.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

I assume you're familiar with kayak.com, to compare prices?

I fly quite a bit, and the only airline that I would avoid at all costs is Spirit Airlines. I'm not even sure that they fly to Canada, but for anybody else reading this thread: AVOID SPIRIT AIRLINES AT ALL COSTS.

They rope-you in with super-cheap fares. Then they charge for all kinds of crazy things, like carry-ons. Worse, they'll completely re-route flights a day or two ahead of time. Your non-stop from Phoenix to Seattle suddenly leaves an hour later and has a layover in San Diego - things of that ilk.

The other airlines have their problems, but Spirit is legitimately a scam.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah I'm about 6'3" On Canadian flights I get by on sitting in the emergency rows.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I haven't hear of Spirit before, but I will avoid them. Thank you.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I fly Delta frequently. It's an airline. If you connect in Atlanta be sure to leave enough time between flights.

I don't find that much difference between the major airlines although for no logical reason, I dislike American.

My favorite airline is Jet Blue.

When comparing prices be sure that all fees are being included for things like checking luggage or getting a seat with your needed leg room.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll echo the sentiment of those who suggest avoiding Spirit. Really doesn't matter which airline you do choose; you're just as likely to have a miserable or awesome experience regardless of your choice. Stuff happens and sometimes it's beyond anyone's control.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Beef, if you are looking for real cheap, look at flying Allegient out of Bellingham. You get what you pay for and they nickle and dime you but for a 2.5 hour flight to Arizona I have saved quite a bit. Parking is real cheap there as well.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Choosing an airline can be a life altering decision. Don't take it lightly.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Going to Arizona, you're probably looking at Phoenix? That means US Airways for a non-stop most likely. I know Air Canada flies there among a lot of other airlines. They're not great, but they get the job done. Delta would most likely connect in Salt Lake City.

I highly recommend Kayak. It's a great site for comparison fares. It gives you a graph if it is a good buy or not based on historical information.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Second Kayak as starting point but sometimes Airline site has better prices.

Start with Kayak to nail down flight then go to airline site but don't go from Kayak
    link. Go direct.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Another airline based in Phoenix is Southwest. They usually have competitive fares and I've never had any problems with them.

Just know that the "bags fly free" slogan, while mostly true, has some small print that can result in paying for checked luggage (example: not checking it early enough).

But on the plus side, Southwest does not have assigned seats. You check in online 24 hours before the flight, get a boarding group letter and number, and the plane fills up much more quickly, IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted