1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing an airline (ugh!)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Also agreed. Southwest's seats are not bad (no, they're not Jet Blue), and I love how easy it is to change your flight if you have to. No penalty fees and you can do it right online. And I've found that if you're within the first 10 people to check in 24 hours in advance, you can most likely get an emergency exit seat. But you gotta sit on the button and not be a minute late.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Personally, I would go with Southwest if at all possible. If Southwest ever had the financial wherewithal to establish service at Hartsfield-Jackson, I would fly Delta only for international travel, that's how much I wish SW flew here. My friends who have family in MKE really love Midwest - the only catch being, of course, that you'd have to fly through MKE.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Rosie -- if you haven't flown in several years, you may not be familiar with the 3 oz. toiletries rule. All liquids and gels that you carry on must be 3 oz. or less, and must be in a single 1 quart ziploc bag. You can't have more than one ziploc, but you can stuff it as much as you can.

What must go in the ziploc: any kind of lip balm, lotions/shampoos/conditioner, mascara, gel deodorants, contact lens stuff, any kind of cream such as concealer, hair spray, any kind of perfume or scent spray, antibacterial gel, OTC medications such as cough syrup.

What can stay out: stick deodorant, powder makeup, baby powder, solid cosmetics such as eyeliner pencil, OTC medications in pill form, and they no longer confiscate tweezers or eyelash curlers. Yay!

This just means that unless you're checking luggage, swap powder blush for cream, pencil for liquid liner, body powder for perfume and you can get more through security.

There are exceptions for certain things like medications and baby formula. When you do pick an airline, check their requirements.

4. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

If you hate flying, I would be leary about Southwest only because, as far as I know, it doesn't fly direct from MSP to Vegas. You'd have to connect through either Denver or Chicago Midway.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Just some other advice:

Southwest and JetBlue don't have protection. If your flight cancels or is late, you're stuck with them.

Which is why they're so cheap.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Rosie --

I think you can get Allegiant out of Duluth or Sioux Falls for, literally, a hundred bucks.

That's how I'd roll.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This is great - keep it coming!

Since this is a week-long trip, with some business meetings (this is the reason the gathering is in Vegas this time), I most likely will need to check a bag. GRRR. If I recall from flying in 2003, you're not allowed to lock your bag. Not that I have anything worth stealing but still.

I did look into flying out of Duluth, but Allegiant only flies twice a week out of Duluth and it's the wrong days - and it wouldn't let me price just a flight. (I'm fully willing to entertain the idea that I did something wrong there...)

I've been to Vegas before. I hated it. It was TOO [expletive deleted] hot, dirty, expensive and I don't gamble. Did I mention it was TOO HOT???

Oh well, seeing my buds should hopefully make up for some of that.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You're not really NOT allowed to lock your bag, but if TSA decides to search it, they'll cut the lock off, so they strongly advise that you not lock it.

If you're on a flight to Vegas, you're gonna be on with a bunch of yahoos no matter what. But from what I gather, that's enhanced quite considerably with Allegiant, so it might be just as well that they don't work out.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You can lock your bag with a TSA approved lock.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can't you bring your own protection?

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K, I priced a flight with Southwest for $260, both ways have a plane change in Denver.

Northwest is direct for $240. But I have $30 to check a bag, right?

Sheez, this trip darned well better be worth it!

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes - $30 to check your bag. I say definitely book the non-stop on NWA.

Draft saved Draft deleted