1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing an airline (ugh!)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can getting around that by checking in online 24 hours before your flight so you are in the A group.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Bag fees:

Southwest: doesn't charge for your first two checked bags.
    NWA: $15 for the first bag; $25 for the second - these fees are each way, so if you're checking bags both ways, it will be $30 or $50.
    United: If you pay before you travel, it's $15/1st bag, $25/2nd bag. If you pay at checkin, it's $20 and $30. Again, that's each way.

Cost for larger/aisle/exit row seats:
    Southwest: no additional fees for any of the above.
    NWA has something called "Coach Choice." From their website:
    Northwest Airlines is saving some preferred coach seat assignments until check-in.

Confirm these preferred seat assignments (including exit, aisle and window seats) for a modest fee at time of check-in at nwa.com or at the airport. Fees are per flight and range from $5 to $35 within the U.S. International flights range from $15 to $75. Coach Choice prices include all taxes and are subject to change without notice.
    Link to their FAQ: http://www.nwa.com/features/coachchoiceqa/
    United: Here's a link to info on their "Economy Plus" seating:
    https://store.united.com/traveloptions/control/category?category_id=UM_LEGRM

Hope this helps.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right, but if you want an exit-row seat you'll usually need to be among the early bunch in the A group.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

JetBlue is the best for economy flying.
    But, it's tough to beat Southwest's pricing and scheduling.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Do some price comparison between Southwest and Northwest.

SWA is new to the MSP market and usually have low introductory fares in addition to their cheap regular fares. NWA may be matching to hold market share.

It sounds like you may not be right in Minneapolis so I do not know if this is an option but Allegiant Air flies out of Rochester and Duluth.

Allegiant Air is a charter airline that does not do connections so you would be on a direct flight and most times they are cheaper than anyone else.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Satellite radio; no TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. BRoth

BRoth Member

+1 for Southwest. Not the best planes for comfort, but I have rarely had an issue with delays or finding a good price with them. I don't fly a ton - maybe a couple times a year - but I typically stick to Southwest or JetBlue for all the reasons mentioned here.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Southwest with a carry-on bag is about as easy and cheap an experience as you're likely to have on that route. Expect a lot of kids, though.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think Rosie can handle that . . . she'll just give them all time-outs.

Rosie, I meet my buddy from Mpls in Vegas every year. He takes Northwest and has few complaints. But if you can get a good fare on Southwest, go for it. You won't get meals on either flight.

And don't forget to stop by the M&M store in Vegas.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Bit of advice: Don't steal Mike Tyson's tiger.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed with that last part. As I type this, I can see the Vegas M&M store out of my hotel window.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted