1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing an airline (ugh!)...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

It looks like I'm going to Vegas in August. Not my choice, that's a whole 'nuther story, but...

I'm looking to book a flight out of the Twin Cities (it's more than double to fly out of a regional airport, which again, stinks, but a whole 'nuther story.)

I haven't flown since 2003. I know there's all sorts of rules, additional charges, what have ya.

I have priced tickets on Southwest, Northwest and United which are between $220 and $240 round trip. I can't make sense of the additional charges, boarding fees (the lack of coffee probably isnt helping, either.)

Can anyone explain this crap in simple terms? I've flown Northwest, never the other two. Any thoughts there?

Thank you.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The only thing that will affect you, I'd imagine, is the extra bag fee or whatever. Everything else is just included in the price you end up paying.

I rarely worry about that, though, seeing as how I've checked luggage once (last month) in the last five years. Hate it. I always pack light and carry on.

Does JetBlue not fly out of the Twin Cities? Edit: No, it does not. That's unfortunate. JetBlue kicks some serious ass.

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I hate the whole flying experience anymore, but I love Southwest. Few fees, user friendly. That would be my No. 1 choice, and there's no close second.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've found a lot of airline Web sites give you just the base fare, then show you the taxes and fees at the end. A lot of the aggregator sites, on the other hand, show you everything up front. You can, of course, save the site fees by picking out your flights there and then going to the airline's site to book them. Southwest, though, doesn't appear on most of them, I believe. One of the ways they keep the fares down.

Any of the departure fees, Sept. 11 fees, etc., will be built into the price of the ticket. The baggage fees and, for some airlines, the fees to choose your seat will not. On Southwest, of course, you don't get to pick your seat in advance.

If you have to make a connection, the total price will be a few dollars more, even if the fare is the same, because you'll pay an extra departure charge. You pay one of those for each segment of the flight.

And be sure you've got the right flights, because changing them will cost an arm and a leg.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Research if they have TV on the plane.

Sonner is right, JetBlue is fantastic and the TV/radio is one of the reasons.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Which other airlines have TV?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think AirTran, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Frontier has DirecTV.

And no, JetBlue doesn't fly out of MSP.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not your choice to go to Vegas? Can I go for you?

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This is an annual gathering (similar to the SportsJournalists.com only shindig without the copious amounts of drinking). Usually we hold it in the Midwest, which means I drive.

Due to some outside reasons, we're gathering in Las Vegas this year. I wasn't going to go because of my intense hatred of everything associated with flying, but I was finally talked into going.

Please, keep the ideas and input coming. I appreciate it very much.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Southwest is great. Don't check a bag.

I would not worry too much about which airline, though. I would base it on price and flying time -- direct versus stopping in Chicago for two hours or whatever.

And you will love Vegas so go with a good attitude. Lots of stuff to do and see even if you don't gamble.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For a longer flight I really like choosing/knowing my seat, which is a strike against Southwest. But you can get around that by getting to the gate early.

Draft saved Draft deleted