1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choke on it, AirTran!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Re: Stay away, AirTran

Air Mauritania ain't looking bad after JetBlue's meltdown, for that matter...

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Except for non-French-speaking hijackers.

3. Norman Stansfield

Well, yeah, there is that. But it's such a small demographic. Probably won't even be factored into the passengers' bill of rights.

4. Norman Stansfield

Fuck you, AirTran!!!

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=4/1/2007&id=21364

I SWEAR I will never fly this piece of shit airline if it winds up buying Midwest.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Apparently you weren't flying to Orlando tonight with Cap'n Huss...
    [​IMG]

As for AirTran, I wouldn't make it a habit of flying them, but the XM and the $25 first-class upgrade at the counter are pretty cool.

I was happy enough going west with America West. Last time we went to Oregon, it was technically a USAir flight but our ride had AWA livery. So I held out hope maybe it was just a bad dream. Sadly, it's not, as my wife's USAir Silver Preferred card is sitting here on the desk.

JetBlue goes JFK to Portland for a reasonable fare, so maybe that's what we'll be on next.

Apologies for the late arrival to the thread.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Take a fucking hint, AirTran:

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=4/4/2007&id=21596

Seriously, even at the slightest chance they are able to acquire Midwest ... the PR hit they are taking in the Milwaukee area is drastic. No way would would a hub succeed there.

7. Re: Stay away, AirTran

Agreed and I still think this is far, far from a done deal. The hedge funds which bought Midwest stock in January are ready to sell. I have no problem with that because they exist to make a quick profit. As far as I can tell, the hedge funds represent less than 10 percent of Midwest shares.

The rest of the people who own are not about to sell IMHO, because:
    1. They are local people, businesses and institutions who like Midwest and the non-stop Signature Service offered to many destinations. It's so fantastic to buy a MKE-LGA ticket or a MKE-BOS ticket and know the flight is going to be direct and that you are going to get a first-class style seat no matter what; no playing the upgrade lottery, no paying $10 to get an exit-row seat, no hoping your status clears to get you into a row with more leg room.

2. They realize that AirTran's offer is essentially shitty. The hillbillies are offering cash and AirTran stock. Who wants to own AirTran stock? This is a company which started out hot, made money, but which has broken many promises about running routes year round instead of seasonally. Which leads to...

Anyone who takes a close look at AirTran's business plan for Milwaukee in the event of buying Midwest knows it's full of shit.

AirTran claims it is going to start all these great non-stop flights all over the country from Milwaukee. Its reasoning is that all the folks from Chicago are going to come to Mitchell instead of O'Hare.

If this is possible, why isn't Southwest at Milwaukee? Why isn't JetBlue at Milwaukee? Why has Midwest stared down every competitor? Why can't AirTran just come to Milwaukee and take on Midwest head to head?

So I say again, SUCK IT AIRTRAN! Leave my wide leather seats and my cookies alone. Go away please.

8. Re: Stay away, AirTran

Apparently you weren't flying to Orlando tonight with Cap'n Huss...
    [​IMG]

[/quote]

Great screen shot. Is that a real game? Is that Flight Sim?

9. Norman Stansfield

Well said on all levels. I flew Midwest back and forth to the Final Four last weekend. Flawless once again. When we pulled into Atlanta we parked right next to the AirTran gate and I felt like puking when I saw that logo.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'll be in O-Town next Wednesday ... anyone want me to relay a message? or a flaming bag of shit at ValuJet's door?

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

UHP: Flight Simulator 2004 with FSPassengers.

12. Re: Stay away, AirTran

Outstanding, thank you! I am looking forward to firing that up.

I like your .sig ad I love Yuengling as well. First time I enjoyed it was in Key West, of all places, a few years back...

Draft saved Draft deleted