1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choke on it, AirTran!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 13, 2006.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Re: Stay away, AirTran

All this merger talk . . . good for the industry, bad for passengers.

UncleHappyPants: Thanks for the heads-up on atc.net. It's great!

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't live in the midwest and don't travel there much, but I took a Midwest flight a few years ago -- it was the best coach flight I've ever taken.

AirTran SUCKS. I'd rather take Greyhound than AirTran. Seriously.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Midwest is the best, bar none. And I have no stake in the company, other than flying it whenever I can (I live in a hub city).

And didn't AirTran used to be ValuJet? I watched a TV show on that Everglades crash, and it didn't paint the company in the best light. Not to mention the shitty legroom.

4. Re: Stay away, AirTran

You're welcome! Glad you like it. You might also like www.flightaware.com

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Living in the south and the west, the last time I flew US Airways was when it was still Allegheny, so I'll defer to your judgment on that.

6. Re: Stay away, AirTran

Here's a few highlights from Midwest's press release. The full version is available at http://tinyurl.com/yzvbde

Midwest Air Group Expands on Decision to Decline AirTran's Offer
    MILWAUKEE, Dec 13, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Midwest Air Group, Inc. (Amex: MEH) - parent company of Midwest Airlines - today expanded on its decision to decline a proposed merger agreement with AirTran Holdings.

According to Timothy E. Hoeksema, chairman and chief executive officer, the Midwest Air Group board of directors spent considerable time and effort evaluating AirTran's offer of $11.25 per share in cash and AirTran stock. As part of Midwest's evaluation, the board engaged investment banking firms and an outside consulting firm.

"During their comprehensive review, those advisors considered the offer in light of Midwest's business and strategic plans," explained Hoeksema. "Under our strategic plan, we are projecting annual capacity growth of more than 10% over the next three years including a 50-seat regional jet program, along with significantly greater growth in profitability. Additionally, we view AirTran's offer at only about $5 per share, because it includes approximately $6 per share in cash that already belongs to our shareholders."

"... The board unanimously concluded that Midwest's business plan as a stand-alone company would support a considerably better return to our shareholders than AirTran's offer," Hoeksema said. "We are successful because we provide customers with an exceptional travel experience. Our product and service are unique, and are not readily compatible with a merger with another carrier."

Hoeksema added that employees of Midwest have been overwhelmed by the groundswell of public support of the board's decision since the news became public today. "We are very fortunate to have customers and shareholders who enthusiastically support our decisions and appreciate our efforts to provide 'The best care in the air.' We are very proud to be Milwaukee's hometown airline."

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

AirTran ups its offer by 18%.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=551848

Stay the fuck away, dammit.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But ... but ... they have XM!

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Cookies & wide leather seats > XM & sardine seats

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Air Tran's former name? ValuJet.

Enough said.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bing!

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

without fail, when you're in an airport and you walk past an air tran gate as the plane is about to load it's sheer chaos.

Draft saved Draft deleted