1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CHNI and AP service

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Just checking to see if other CNHI papers had their AP service changed.

We stopped getting NBA, NHL standings and the only thing on the sports wire for us was a handful of briefs and a couple of stories from our state.

We have the material available on apexchange, problem is we only have one pagination computer that can access apexchange (the other six are still on OS9). Plus, many of you are probably aware of the bugs with apexchange (missing first lines, reformatting to get into your system, clumsy searches).

Here is the vague e-mail that got that was supposed to prepare me for the dramatic changes to our wire service:

The Associated Press is in the process of implementing its new, customized
    news services to CNHI newspapers that receive AP service.

Your services were established under a company-wide negotiation after
    consultation with you about your AP needs for news, photos and stocks.

Thus Donna Barrett has asked that whenever you have questions or concerns
    about your AP services, please contact me in order to avoid confusion and
    misunderstanding.

My office keeps a central file on all AP services and agreements with CNHI
    papers for the purpose of answering your questions and helping with any
    problems that may arise.

Thank you for your cooperation.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

We are using AP Exchange permanently now at our shop, (a former CHNI, but no longer)... as our regular AP server went down and won't be replaced.

At our place, all of our computers (Macs) can access AP Exchange, I believe. Have you tried accessing it on other terminals in the office?

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We still get the standings, they just aren't tabbed. I think about 80 percent of our wire now is all agate, with a few national stories (Olympics, I assume, will come in, Australian Open right now and top 25 and NBA/NHL capsules) and local content and that's it. Trying to find features for boring days like today has now turned into a total pain in the ass.

4. fishhack2009

Just wondering:

Is AP Exchange the new version of the slow-speed wire? As far as getting less stuff than normal?

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

AP Exchange is the Web site. It has everything on it and is the most poor designed site on the face of the planet. Trying to find stuff on there is sometimes absolutely impossible.

Like Thursday's TV sports watch.

6. We - a non-CNHI paper - have been using AP exchange for more than a year now.

7. It's not that the site is incompatible with Macs, it's that our office is still 80 percent OS9, not OS10, which means 80 percent of the computers in the building can't access apexchange.

8. The was our problem as well.

9. fishhack2009

I see... What's the issue with OS9 that you can't access AP Exchange?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

It is never to be found, week in, week out.

Are you guys with AP exchange having to copy from the net instead of having it filter into your news composition software, such as NewsEdit Pro?

Draft saved Draft deleted