1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiropractor Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, May 13, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Find out where they went school. Most Palmer graduates are good. There are lots of shitty chiropractors out there and a few great ones. If they want to x-ray you before the doc even looks at you, walk out; the guy's a hack. Also, find a good massage therapist so you can address the root cause of your musculo-skelatal ills....chiros pretty much just alleviate the symptoms.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Try a massage parlor first.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sounds like you needed a physical therapist/trainer and not a chiropractor.
    Just keep them away from your neck.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So after three days of worsening pain that moved from my lower back to my hip and down my thigh, resulting in actual numbness, I caved in and went to the chiropractor for the first time. The guy is associated with the NFL team in my town, I figured he's seen it all.

All I can say is, you know that feeling when you've been having great sex for about 10 hours, and your body feels so relaxed and light you have to wonder if you've been drugged?

Yeah, like that....wow. He completely isolated the fucked-up muscle, beat the hell out of it, cracked me and stretched me and told me I'd be in a lot of pain today. Which is completely true, I feel like I've been hit by a car...but in a good way. Going back this afternoon.

I'd never been to a chiropractor before, and for someone who works out a lot, it was probably a big mistake. I had no idea how twisty my back was until it was untwisted. Amazing feeling.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's good that it's helping. Just remember ... get the relief and run. He'll have you coming back twice a week for years if you agree to it.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Once in a while, subluxations (instances of bones being out of proper alignment) are the result of an acute injury, but most subluxations are the result of chronic conditions. Posture and movement (or lack of movement) have a cumulative effect and result in situations where muscle and/or connective tissue can become shortened or overstretched. Common examples include shortened hamstrings/posteriorally rotated pelvis, lateral displacement of dominant-side scapula and overstretched rhomboids along with shortened dominant-side pecs, etc.

The reason chiros have a bad rep for providing short-term relief but no permanent benefit is because chirporactic without physical therapy or massage therapy doesn't address the soft-tissue conditions that created the subluxations in the first place. Chirporactic can be great, but is more effective when combined with soft-tissue therapies such as PT or massage.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Went back today for more. The guy getting treatment before me is a 300 lb NFL lineman. Heard him scream like a 5 yr old who just got stung by a bee. He wobbles out the door and nods at me, 'Dude's a fucking barbarian.'

Is there something wrong with me that I'm enjoying this, like Bill Murray going to the dentist in 'Little Shop of Horrors'??

Draft saved Draft deleted