1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiropractor Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, May 13, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

go for it, 21. i've gone in the past for lower-back and stiff-neck issues, and it truly helps. they'll try to sell you on maintenance after the issue's resolved but i haven't found it necessary. when there's an issue, though, they really can help.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

While the origins of chiropractic seem to be a little difficult to swallow, there is no doubt that a good chiropractor can provide wonderful care for low back issues. I would have concern regarding manipulation of the neck (cervical spine),though, since the major complication of this manipulation is tearing of the vertebral artery and stroke.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I had some success going the chiropractor route a few years ago for some back pain and stiffness. But it was always temporary success.

My mom, on the other hand, had a stroke -- not a major one, but a stroke nonetheless -- because of a neck adjustment and suffered from the effects for a good while.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

My parents visited a chiropractor on a weekly basis. I go when I need to, but I've gone long enough that I often know what I need to do to fix it. I should be noted my problem is usually in my lower back ... I would never try to adjust my own neck.

I've had knee, ankle, heel, elbow, etc. pain that has been corrected by a chiropractor. I've seen people with a hand that has felt asleep for two days instantly lose the pins-and-needles feeling by a chiropractor.

I know this steps right into the second post's wheel house, but ... A good chiropractor is like a good mechanic; you find one and don't go anywhere else. I drive an hour one way when I need to visit mine.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I visited a chiro a few times when I had some serious lower back pain; he repaired the damage and made me good as new.

But he won't leave me the fuck alone. He bombards me with junk mail and e-mail and even voice mail, trying to get me to come back for more treatment. But I don't need any more treatment, for chrissakes!

If he'd a sucked at his job, maybe I'd still be going to see him.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is this irony? My wife's chiropractor doesn't have health insurance.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That's funny.

Mine is a Pimpin' Hos Degree.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i'm deeply suspicious of chiropractors

it's all about making you feel better for a few days -- until your next appointment

they don't heal

they make you feel better temporarily so you can keep paying them

i think we're better off seeing real doctors to attack the cause of a problem instead of just kind of alleviating the discomfort for a few days

if all else fails, i don't blame anybody who tries anything

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I follow one simple rule in life. Never, ever seek help from a medical practitioner that gives free advice or free service in a mall. How many neurologists or orthopedists do you see outside a food court?
    Witch Doctors. That's what they are. Witch Doctors.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't trust chiropractors. Basically, they're grossly underqualified physicians.

For those who find them helpful, good for you. But I don't feel like they solve anything.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. From where I was five months ago until today, this guy's a freaking genius. He's given me stretches to do that make me feel better instantly between visits. I even did one on the golf course a couple weeks ago when my back got stiff and when I finished playing I had no pain or stiffness whatsoever. To each his own, I guess.

12. T2

T2 Member

Be wary of chiropractors who claim to be able to treat more than back problems. From US News and World Report:

Some chiropractors think their discipline can cure everything from headaches to sciatica, asthma to premenstrual syndrome. But efficacy is often less than many practitioners claim, even in curing chiropractic's meat and potatoes: lower back pain. And even so, research shows that mainstream treatments for lower back pain are equally effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted