1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiropractor Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, May 13, 2008.

1. Has anybody seen a chiropractor? I am considering it, but I know they often get a bad rep. I like holistic treatments, so figured this would be a good way to try to treat back pain.

Any stories or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

Jerry: You gotta go to my chiropractor, he's the best.
    George: Oh yeah, everybody's guy is the best.
    Jerry: I'm gonna make an appointment for you. We'll go together.
    George: Please. They don't do anything. ...

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I go as often as I can (both time, and $$-wise).

For the past two years, even without insurance or a steady job, I would go when I could afford it, but tried to make it in at least once a month. Now, back in the workforce with insurance coverage for 24 annual visits, I'm going a lot more frequently (once every ten days, at a minimum).

Shoulder/knee/wrist/back injuries, mainly caused by a nasty workplace fall several years ago (nearly 20' off a ladder), left the bones/muscles/nerves in lousy shape. Still not 100% but my chiro visits have done more for me than anything a "medical doctor" has done for me, short of the shoulder surgery I had three years ago.

4. accguy

accguy Member

I have had some experience and success with a chiropractor.

My suggestion is to find one that is affiliated, perhaps, with a sports medicine clinic. The last guy I saw was great. He got me straightened out and, most importantly, gave me a bunch of stretches and strengthening exercises to do. As long as I'm good with doing those, my back is pretty darn good. I haven't seen my guy now in at least two years.

5. I think it depends on your problem.

Chiropractic care, in general, won't cure the source of your ailment. But through regular appointments and regimens for strengthening and stretching, the results are far better and less invasive than anything mainstream doctors can prescribe or recommend.

When my back is bothering me, I'll go see my chiropractor 1-2 times a week. When it's not, I go once a month for a regular "maintenance" appointment.

Overall, I recommend them.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Five months ago, I had a pinched nerve in my back and could barely walk. I've been seeing one ever since and feel great. I go once a week whether my back needs it or not. But remember, your back didn't get screwed up overnight so he's not going to twist you once or twice and make it all better. It took me about six weeks before I really started to feel good. Now, my back feels as good as it has in years.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have no doubt that chiropractors can help, but as the son of a physician I will never go to one as long as they continue to refer to themselves as "Dr."

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Weird timing on this thread...laying here immobilized after fucking up my back yesterday, deciding whether to drink arsenic or call a chiropractor.

I always think these things will get better on their own, but this time I might not live long enough to find out.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you feel about Dr. Dre?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He has his PhD (Playa Hater Degree).

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've done the chiropractor thing from time to time, and have had success with it. If nothing else, it should relieve the problem so that every step doesn't hurt. If you have some structural problem, you may eventually need to handle it through the medical route. But these people generally know what they're doing.

Warning: Every chiropractor I've ever seen has tried to "sell" me on making monthly visits for upkeep. You're allowed to say no, I just want treatment today.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I go fairly often. For some reason, my hips get out of whack and the right side of my body is higher than the left side, when I lay on the floor or table.

Yes, it sounds strange and sometimes it's a wonder I can walk in a straight line.

Anyway, nothing solves it like a good crack at the chiro. And they have great PT stuff they'll hook you up to as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted