1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chipper: steroid cloud will follow A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Aug 9, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He thought it was flaxseed oil.

2. Unwarrented, sure, but unfortunately par for the course in his case.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's too bad you don't, like, have a job and shit like that.

the rest of us can write whatever comes to our minds and have it published. you and your idiot brother, on the other hand, have to rely on this site and bullshit tube videos to get your message out ... and the only reason you get any rise here is because the two of you piss everyone off.

posts such as this are pathetic cries for help. i mean really, how does it feel to be the dick on the other end of a speaker phone? does it not bother you in the least that the only person on the face of the earth who finds one ounce of redemptive quality to the shit you create is bruh? i mean really, when are you going to realize you and your idiot brother are the biggest jokes ever to grace the internet ... even people at car sites think your brother has autism (and frankly, i think they are right).

go get a job cleaning tables at wendys and do something constructive with your life. what you're doing now is just plain pathetic, and to be honest, i feel damned sorry for your parents because they have to be embarrassed to admit they gave birth to such clowns.

4. Well, that certainly advances the dialogue.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How can I deny something about which I have no direct knowledge? Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if I someday learned that Barry, like dozens of other players, used some type of PED at some point in his career. My beef is the lack of perspective and the level of hypocrisy with which the story's been covered.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Nice piece by Mike Vaccaro of the NY Post saying what many sports media have either said, written or have been thinking: A-Rod, please be clean.

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092007/sports/baseball_needs_alex_to_be_clean_sports_mike_vaccaro.htm

The last thing those who have vilified Bonds want is to be found on the losing side of the ledger once again, as they currently find themselves after being unable to prevent Bonds from becoming the all-time HR king. This attempt failed on several fronts, included among them: MLB could suspend Bonds pending the results of the Mitchell investigation (which, whatever its results, will have been too late to prevent Bonds' 756); the record could be affixed with a formal asterisk (not happening); and - in their greatest hope and where the majority of their advocacy had lain - if Bonds had been indicted by the grand jury prior to his reaching career home run 756.

Now that those fervent hopes have proven unfulfilled, the focus shifts to a man roundly criticized for: his post-season ineptness, his gigantic contract, his seeming disingenuousness with the media, his apparent dalliances with blond exotic dancers, his wife's choice of tank tops, and his affiliation with the New York Yankees. Oh, and his on-field antics ('Ha'' and the karate chop) have been referred to as 'Bush League.'

This is the man whom those who despise Bonds are forced to root for now. Hardly what someone would call a perfect candidate. And yet most of the media seems very prepared to recant (read: 'forget') their earlier recriminations of A-Rod if he will only help them do one thing. One thing which they, collectively, have failed to do:

Bring down Bonds.

If A-rod can do that, not only will he be forgiven, he will be one of THE most celebrated figures ever by sports media. At least while he approaches, and finally breaks, Bonds' eventual career HR total.

Except that there's one guy who has those who might live vicariously through A-Rod worried:

Jose Canseco.

The only thing that would be worse for those media members who failed to stop Bonds would be to now fully throw their support behind, and openly root for, A-Rod to break Bonds' HR mark only to discover that A-Rod, too, was an alleged (or proven, depending on what Canseco does/does not say and what investigations could potentially follow Canseco's remarks) PED user.

Judging by numerous remarks in the past few days, one egg on the face of the Bonds haters has proven very intolerable.

Two eggs, however? That might prove unbearable.

Which leads us back to the thinking of those who unsuccessfully sought Bonds on PED:

"A-Rod, you better be clean. Or at least, Canseco better shut his mouth."

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah. Bonds didn't admit to a federal grand jury that he used the cream and the clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted