1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chipper: steroid cloud will follow A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Aug 9, 2007.

1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

I hear that & I don't really disagree.

That is why I do videos as I am much better in that medium (radio/TV/speaking).

It may surprise some - lol, but I actually can write well, even quite powerfully (I mean I did do well in law school & have been published & all), but it takes work/time for me & isn't really fun or efficient. I like to produce quality & volume which is why I do what I do. When I write here I have fun while making points - some get through some don't.

Rok is very detailed, which is great, but he can lose the forrest through the trees & this is a big area of management for me with him when I use him on deals - focus & efficiency.

That being said, he is very talented & knowledgable & my only point is I agree with you, yet the info from Rok is always all there. Thus, if people are interested they can find it without too much trouble.

That is all I am saying, but hey I don't have a dog in that fight.

John

2. Help, I am sometimes lost in the trees!

[​IMG]

Sorry, JDV. Couldn't resist.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, Amazingly, you brought up a pet peeve of mine . :) Yes, I agree that it is always "alleged," even when the stick-up kid gets caught with the gun in his hand. And that is the way I have always done my job. This, however, gets taken way too far by many in the print media, at least. That stick-up kid could have also been caught shooting the cashier on 5 video surveillance cameras, have 10 eye-witnesses who saw it all, have confessed to the crime immediately upon the police showing up and have used the gun in 15 other crimes where he left his DNA at the crime scene. And there'd be reporters so intent on being "objective" that they'd search out the other side to give a "balanced" quote equal play. You see that a lot and it drives me up the wall. Creating another side, where there really isn't one, just to say that you gave both sides, is not being objective. Far too often, things are what they seem. And the REAL objective way to report it is to not overstate the alternative you have to really go searching for or stretch to come up with.

4. John D. Villarreal

Ha ha ha,

Nice!

I know, I like this thread which is another reason I need to bug off it soon - lol.

Yeah, we need to catch up soon off-line. Great stuff as always!

JDV

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Poor JDV. Misunderstood, barrier-crashing sports journalism savant mocked by the establishment. Let's break out the 8th grade band equipment.

[​IMG]

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

someone should ask John Maine if he took performance detracting drugs ;D

I've had this discussion dozens of times already with my buds. The fact is, no one is above suspicion, which may be the saddest aspect of the steriods conundrum. A-Rod and his handlers better come up with a solid line of answers, because the more homers he hits -- and I've seen one projection that had him winding up with more than 900 -- the more questions he will be asked about it.

7. John D. Villarreal

That is why I am saying that Rok & I need to do something formal as right now I don't care enough/have enough time & I need to spend the time to get it all pulled together w/ Rok and whoever else.

So, that is the dilemma. Like I said, once I clear my plate I will take a look at this probably in conjunction with my other efforts on this subject and for Big Mac prior to the HOF vote again this year at the latest.

I hear what you are saying.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not concise (although I don't hear that from others). CERTAINLY not nasty and condescending, which in your case is beyond unwarranted.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Agarn!"
    [​IMG]

10. John D. Villarreal

Love it!

Any time I can be compared to the Duke I am cool with that.

When I was a little dude I hated black and white TV but Wayne movies, 3 stooges, Hogan's Heros, and even the occasional Hope/Crosby movie were always worth watching. Hitchcock was tight as well.

JDV

Edit: Yes, F-Troop was also bomb!

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

12. John D. Villarreal

Ok,

I gotta bounce out & get on my work.

Good thread so congrats to GB for starting & everyone else for the contributions. Cran's additions took it to the next level.

Later dudes!

JDV

Draft saved Draft deleted