1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chipper Jones Sandy Hook truther

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 7, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's usually an underlying psychological issue, like some profound sense of paranoia, playing out in the most extreme examples, so I save my vitriol for the people who feed off their illnesses.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's the most craven kind of opportunism.
    Alex Jones might not be mentally ill, but is mean enough to profit off those who probably are.
    Anything will be used. The violent death of Paul Walker, a D-list actor, somehow was made to fit into the Illuminati master plan.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You know, I always thought I was the smart one in our family. Hurts to have you knock me down like that, bro. :D

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Pro baseball players on the whole are the least-informed of any major American sport. Lots of them go straight from high school to the minors as Chipper did, and that's where their learning stops.

At least football players get three years of college and basketball players at least one. Hockey has a similar setup as baseball, but those guys are mostly Canadian and have a more enlightened education.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And yet you don't hear people wailing about the baseball players forgoing their education like you do the NBA.

I wonder why that is the case ...

Double Down likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or hockey players

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There must be some trait that baseball and hockey players share and which NBA players do not wherein it doesn't bother people very much to see the formers head straight to the pros without a little bit o' tap dancing thrown in first.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Chewing tobacco.

Huggy and SnarkShark like this.
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The education part of it is a salient point. It hasn't helped that he's been sheltered his entire life. Private school in high school. Controlled environment in the minors. Highly controlled environment in the majors. The tunnel vision that made his career what it was doesn't serve him well when he wades into current events water. Pro basketball and football players get at least a year in college. In theory at least, they were required to read something other than a playbook.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or perhaps it is because baseball has been that way for generations while most of us actually remember when it was an extreme rarity for basketball players to go straight from high school to the pros and college football players all waited at least three years before moving on to the NFL. Some people don't deal well with change.

I'm guessing it is a mixture of both.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This a hundred times. Baseball players, on average, are the dimmest of all.

Draft saved Draft deleted