1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chipotle caves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I always wonder about people who get all up in arms about stuff like this, or GMO foods. Why does this matter? Does it make people sick or die? Does it shorten lifespan? Not according to any reputable study I've seen, because if any reputable study said it did, these practices would cause bankruptcy in whatever company did them and others would abandon the practices for fear of going bankrupt.

I just don't see the point. Sure, it seems less wholesome than the thought of eating beef that grazed on open fields of grass on sunny days with gentle summer breezes, until it was humanely slaughtered by a crying butcher into some expensive brand of beef. But that's just not a feasible way of doing things, and I'm fine with that being the case as long as I'm not at risk of getting sick because of how things actually get done. And as far as I've read, and I've read a bit about it, that's never happened. So as far as I'm concerned, if the cow is sick, give it antibiotics and cure it; if the corn will grow better with GMOs, then let it grow.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

GMOs are interesting. I'm not opposed to them.
    Breeding and cross-breeding are forms of genetic alteration, and those have been practiced since agriculture started and we first domesticated animals.
    But the level of manipulation is certainly crossing new scientific threshold now. I can understand some trepidation.

Also, if all strains of grain only respond to a single manufacturer's pesticide or other products, that's also a cause for concern.

Draft saved Draft deleted