1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly Takes Eagle Job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

This is such a lousy idea that I don't doubt for a minute that the Eagles would hire him. The Philadelphia media isn't gonna' be bullied and snarked at the way the Cincinnati and Notre Dame is. Also, that screaming til your red college shit doesn't work on millionaire athletes. Fucking Lurie and Howie the Nerd are gonna' make me miss Joe Banner and Andy.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If Notre Dame fans are mad, then Notre Dame fans are stupid.

How many of them climb the career ladder?

Like Double Down said, you strike when the iron is hot.

Like I said on another thread: For football coaches, the NFL is Valhalla. Not the minor leagues.

3. Re: Brian Kelly Interviews With The Eagles

Kelly has zero NFL experience. It would be a huge mistake, for the Eagles and for him, to make the jump. I'm guessing he took the interview just to have the experience of interviewing for an NFL job and for leverage to make a little more money at ND.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Difference is, do they have a contract when they jump for a different company to climb that ladder? If they have a contract, they should stick to it. How can they lecture their athletes about showing loyalty to the team when they're willing to jump ship at the first opportunity?

And the other sad thing is, these schools let the coaches out of their contract, yet many of them seem to have no problem restricting where athletes can jump ship. More college sports hypocrisy.

5. Dick Whitman

The contracts have buyouts written into them.

No one is breaking anything.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, except whatever promises might have been made to the kids a coach recruits.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Careful. Remember what happened when the board discussed people walking away from their mortgages.

8. Dick Whitman

Well, yeah.

But do we know he did that?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was speaking generally.

But I'd be very hard pressed to believe any coach doesn't make the same living room promises.

10. Dick Whitman

And I'd be hard pressed to believe they promise at all

"I plan to stay at Notre Dame" is not a promise.

Brian Kelly started his career in politics. He knows the art of the parse.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nowadays, any kid who would be shocked his coach bolted on him probably doesn't have the smarts to be a super FBS player.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Based on twitter it seems like many outlets had the story which leads you to believe that Kelly wanted it to be known for leverage.

He already ran the same play in Cincinnati so nothing new hear. Sure he has a buyout and is entitled to do what he wants, doesn't mean it's right.

When BC fired Jeff Jagodzinski it seemed harsh at the time but in retrospect decision does not seem so bad that they did not allow themselves to be held hostage by their coach or the NFL.

Jagodzinski is now the OC for Georgia State so maybe his decision was not such a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted