1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly knew when to jump -- Oregon admits 'major' violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The last NCAA TV ban of any kind was Maine's hockey program in 1996.

Don't know about Ole Miss but Auburn was banned from TV in 1993. That was the year they went 11-0 in Terry Bowden's first season.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jeez, that is nothing. Team Nike skates. I'll never understand how the NCAA sanctions, shit that seems silly gets hammered and shit that seems serious to me gets kid glove treatment.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This was a pretty good analysis -- by someone named John Infante at athleticscholarships.net, I haven't heard of either the writer or the site but he sounds like he pays close attention:

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/06/26/lame-duck-coi-gives-oregon-light-penalties.htm

An expanded COI, new penalty matrix, and new head coach responsibility bylaws take effect in just over a month. The recruiting service legislation got another change, with the NCAA now pre-approving services for use in football and basketball.

Whether Oregon got hammered or Oregon got off with a slap on the wrist made no difference. The case has no lasting impact. The NCAA has already promised (once again) to get tough on cheaters starting in August. The structure and composition of the COI will change, so even the personal views of these members are less relevant. And the ability of a recruiting service to be used as a money laundering operation is drastically reduced when the NCAA has to approve the services.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hasn't been much said about this but it'll be interesting to watch if a service takes the NCAA to court over this. Personally, I think it's a great move.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Seems Oregon got off a bit light.

Then again, a ban on bowl appearances and TV isn't what it used to be decades ago. Nowadays, practically EVERY game is on one TV channel or another and the schools are making so much money from TV contracts that the NCAA doesn't dare smack the goose that lays the golden egg.

There are so many bowls now, that the NCAA is having to grant waivers to 6-7 teams just so all the slots can be filled. So to remove ANY school from the potential inventory of bowl teams has a domino effect.

About all they can do is take away scholarships and fine them.

Draft saved Draft deleted