1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly knew when to jump -- Oregon admits 'major' violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 16, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One scholarship lost and no bowl ban. Boy, they really socked it to 'em!

NCAA is such a fucking joke, just get rid of it.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

So after 26 months of investigating, this is the result? That's not even a slap on the wrist. Maybe a slight tap on the wrist?

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

I was hoping the NCAA would order the Ducks to wear adidas.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hey, if this happened at a small school, the NCAA would have kicked their ass!

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The coach gets a show-cause order, which is essentially confirmation he was cheating his brains out, and then no bowl ban and only one scholarship per season penalty? Confusing.

The only penalty that carries any teeth is a postseason ban. Should be automatic for any major violation, much less seven of them.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's really going to hurt the Chipper not being able to coach in the NCAA for the next 18 months. But I guess since Oregon so boldly and sternly got rid of him, it's all good.

You knew they weren't going to fuck with Phil Knight.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, there's also a TV ban, but the NCAA hasn't done that in almost 20 years (Ole Miss in 1994 was the last one, I believe). The thing about the TV ban is that it also hurts your opponents, and with as much money as ESPN, CBS, et al. are throwing around for broadcast rights these days, I doubt we ever see it again.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think the NCAA has basically given up at this point with the major schools. They're going to just stick to harassing the small schools and the athletes for using the wrong water hose.

9. Steak Snabler

Kelly has apologized to Oregon, for whatever THAT's worth:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/26/chip-kelly-apologizes-for-oregons-slap-on-wrist/

10. micropolitan guy

Yeah, right. Except he wouldn't have a job at Oregon any more because of the show-cause order.

11. Steak Snabler

LSUFreek's take:

[​IMG]

12. micropolitan guy

Excellent column by Bud Withers of the Seattle Times. He covers the Pac-12 and at one time was a sports writer for the Eugene Register-Guard.

http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2021276908_witherscolumn27xml.html

From what I've read, the national perception is that the NCAA whiffed badly on this and that Oregon essentially skated, while other programs in the past were punished far more harshly for violations that were similar in scope, although perhaps not similar in nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted