1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly knew when to jump -- Oregon admits 'major' violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's called "pulling a Pete Carroll"

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pretty good column by Canzano, who many UO fans consider the anti-Christ because he has the temerity to call out the program with regularity.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2013/04/canzano_oregons_major_ncaa_inf.html

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I was surrounded by a lot of Husky fans in my high school years, in the Billie Joe Camaro days. Being around a lot of Duck fans these days, I see a lot of similarities: a program skirts the rules to play with the big boys, leading to an arrogant fan base that makes the school hated; school gets caught with a hand in the cookie jar; head coach bolts. It really feels like a case of deja vu, seeing today's Duck fans vs. the UW fans of 20 years ago. For Oregon to be so sloppy when one of its main rivals got in serious hot water not more than two decades earlier is somewhat hard to believe. But then again, Chip Kelly wasn't in the Northwest in the 1990s.
    As for Chip bailing, if not for Pete Carroll maybe I could give him the benefit of the doubt. But Chip's I'm-gone-no-I'm-not-oh-yes-I-am game smelled like a Carroll play. And correct me if I'm wrong, but between the time Chip passed on the Eagles and then took the Eagles job, didn't Oregon have a meeting with NCAA investigators that didn't end well?
    As for Monday's document dump, that was both pathetic and hilarious at the same time. I too feel for the beat writers. Can't imagine Helfrich is too comfortable, either. Chip didn't exactly have a great relationship with local media, and as Helfrich is establishing relationships this happens which won't help matters.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As opposed to the one with Billy Donnovan?

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Perhaps she could next explain why the Iraq doesn't have maps.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I bet her social chair sends an email ripping the shit out of her.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sanctions to be announced at 11 a.m. EDT Wednesday, per Brett McMurphy on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/349587769921769472

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Chip Kelly is to Jimmy Johnson what Jimmy Johnson is to Chip Kelly.

Miami and Oregon should stage a game either once or regularly to honor and cherish their crookdom.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Oregon had to stick to one set of unis for three years or sacrifice 10 scholarships over three years, which one would they choose?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly hit with 18-month show-cause penalty.

Also three years probation, ban on using recruiting services, one scholarship lost.

No bowl ban.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/22533843/no-bowl-ban-for-ducks-kelly-hit-with-show-cause-penalty

Draft saved Draft deleted