1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chip Kelly knew when to jump -- Oregon admits 'major' violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone think there is a school in the country that wouldn't trade a three-year bowl ban for a Rose Bowl win and/or an appearance in the BCS Championship?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Stanford and the military academies, but other than that, point taken.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I will preface this by saying I don't agree with Mark, but...

The Colts made Tressel sit out six games before he could go to work for them. And Goodell said he would have suspended him if they hadn't. So there is a precedent now.

Granted, Goodell is full of shit but he is full of shit on the record regarding this.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tressel is just a flunkie with the Colts and Goodell was just posturing. There is no way he is going to torpedo an NFL team's season by benching its coach over something that has nothing to do with the league.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I agree. But it'll be fun to watch when somebody brings it up.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly knew when to jump like D.B. Cooper knew to pack a parachute.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's time for PCLL to be checking in

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Some of the owners need some integrity.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Checking in...

I think this is pretty much what people were expecting. It's what I was expecting, at least. The violations are what we thought they were. They are significant enough to warrant a penalty, and I suspect when all is said and done it will be pretty close to the two years probation/loss of a scholarship punishment Oregon is proposing.

It's disappointing, but really, this is the type of stuff I assume goes on within every program of any significance. I don't say that to excuse it; it's against the rules and deserves punishment. I believe that Oregon was particularly stupid and sloppy about it and got caught, but this isn't exactly a rogue program.

It's sort of amusing that this is based largely around the recruiting of a guy who transferred out after he dropped to 6th or 7th on the depth chart at running back.

I'll say this, too: I'm not as convinced as everyone else that Chip Kelly bailed to avoid this. Chip's a different breed of cat, and generally isn't obsessed with the things a lot of coaches are obsessed about. I'm sure this didn't exactly hurt in his decision to jump to the NFL, but I don't know that it was as big a factor as everyone is assuming.

I find the timing kind of funny, honestly. That's a news dump for the ages, putting it out hours after the bombing. It's off-the-scale chickenshit and I feel for the beat guys who suddenly had this in their laps.... but I don't cover the school these days, so it cracked me up.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That UPS "logistics" commercial with Chip Kelly was always good for a laugh ... the irony of that coach at that school getting a special delivery package.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want them to do one for the SEC. "When I'm shipping cash to a recruit's family..."

Draft saved Draft deleted