1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese Toy CEO Hangs Himself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 14, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to the family, but could you imagine if CEOs did the same thing over here?

BEIJING, China (AP) -- The head of a Chinese manufacturer whose lead-tainted Sesame Street toys were the center of a massive U.S. recall has killed himself, a state-run newspaper said Monday.
    Cheung Shu-hung, who co-owned Lee Der Industrial Co., committed suicide at a warehouse over the weekend, apparently by hanging himself, the Southern Metropolis Daily reported.
    "When I rushed there around 5 p.m., police had already sealed off the area," the newspaper quoted a manager surnamed Liu as saying. "I saw that our boss had two deep marks in his neck."
    Though the report did not give a reason for Cheung's apparent suicide -- and the company declined to discuss the matter -- Lee Der was under pressure in a global controversy over the safety of Chinese made products. It is common for disgraced officials to commit suicide in China

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What I don't get, is why do American companies keep putting plants in China? Wal-Mart, mattel, the crap sucks, lead in the paint and anti-freeze in the toothpaste. There is no FDA or government oversight. Would any CEO say "You know we can make 18-billion dollars in China, But if we go to Mexico, or South America we'll only make 16-billion" That's the reason I don't shop at Wal-mart if I can help it. Screw 'em. They dont care about what kind of products they get, how many americans are put out of work, they don't get my money.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, yes, BB. That extra 2-billion pushes up the stock price.

It really is a matter of catering to the investor over the consumer.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question about why. You gave two billion reasons.

Considering these companies are purposely endangering millions of kids to save a few pennies, I think the Chinese tradition is apt.

Here, you use shoddy mining practices to save a few bucks and a few miners die and you deny, deny, deny. When caught you might perhaps apologize by saying "mistakes were made" or somesuch and blame confusing government regulations.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I'm not sure you can blame Wal Mart for this considering the toys are sold at all major retail outlets.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Who says Chinese men aren't well-hung.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but methinks this 'suicide' may have come because the government doesn't want any more bad pub after executing those involved with all the Made In China recalls.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nope, you aren't the only one thinking that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotta admit, it sounds more effective than our EPA.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Note to Self: Send this Story to Donald Trump

11. boots

boots New Member

Sounds like a good idea for many CEOs.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That could be, but I think it has more to do with Asian culture and the whole disgracing the family name. See Japanese generals in WWII who fell on their swords if they lost a battle.

Draft saved Draft deleted