1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

chinese restaurants in s.f.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Feb 9, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

know this has been a thread before, but please indulge. my sister's taking her two picky brats, ages 11 and 5, to s.f. during prez week and she's never been before. i haven't been in 15 years and don't recall names.

suggestions? the kids love chinese. but any suggestions for restaurants are welcomed.

thanks all.

2. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

R&G Lounge is the best by a mile. Tommy Toy's is also good and is far more upscale. I also liked Great Eastern. House of Nanking has a cult following and it's good the first time or two you go, but doesn't wear as well in repeat visits.

Have fun.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Word up on Nan King. If you don't know what you want to eat as soon as the man comes to take your order, he gets pissed and orders for you. Still overrated, though.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Lovvvvvve the Dim Sum at Ton Kiang on Market.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nan King is no good. It's like Panda Express.
    Here's a clue. If no people of Asian decent are ever eating at a supposed authentic Chinatown establishment, there's probably something wrong. It's a tourist place.

R&G and Toy's are great.
    But, try Yank Sing's...

http://www.yanksing.com/

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fish - how much would yanks set a guy back for a dinner for two?

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Fish-wrapper is DEAD-ON about Yank-Sing.

But I'm not sure it's a place to take kids, especially "picky brats."

Chinese waiters and waitresses (who are difficult to understand, and this is coming from a half-Japanese fella) push carts around the restaurant and offer different dishes. They'll punch your card. Repeat. So you have no idea how much you're spending until the end. My folks and I have spent as little as $50 bucks and as much as $100 on lunch at Yank-Sing.

It's a fantastic grown-ups place. Probably not for kids.

Be sure to try the sticky pork buns!

8. fishwrapper

If you're visiting and it's special, I can see it.
    I wouldn't go there every trip. But, out the door, you're looking in the $60 range for two. That's if your mindful of what you're ordering. If you both order the full duck, you'll have purse snatch on the way to the head.

It's less expensive than Tommy Toy's. And about the same range as R&G Lounge.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you, fish.

10. fishwrapper

Ok, that's it! You're setting me up, again...

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

8)

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What a great fucking city San Fran is. That contributes nothing to the thread but can't be said too many times.

Draft saved Draft deleted